New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  3:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any experience with running these things? My supervisor wants to try them on our "A" trip buses. I've found Truck-Lite units locally and J.W. Speaker units from one of my vendors in-state. The buses are A3RE's with the 4 rectangular system, and T3RE's with the 9007 bulb in what looks like a 7" round housing if I'm not mistaken.

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  12:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I work for Metro Transit in Minneapolis/St. Paul MN and we run them on most of are newer buses and they work great. Haven't had to change one yet and are very bright. We have both the round and regtangular types.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  05:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard they won't keep the snow/ ice cleared off of them because they are so efficient. Any word on that?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
schoolbus50 - what brand did you settle on?

bwest - the Truck-Lite fixture I jumper wired up to test got pretty hot after 20 minutes of runtime, but I'll be interested in schoolbus50's real world observations.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  07:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have used both the Grote and Trucklite large rectangular sealed beams (H6054 replacement). High beams are awesome and they light up the ditches well, they don't seem to bother other motorists as much as the halogens did on high beam. Have not noticed any problems with snow or ice.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  09:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody used the H4651/H4656 small rectangular? They are the ones I've only seen by Truck-Lite and JW Speaker.

Also, the big rounds are in D3RE/T3RE Bluebirds. Ours have 9007 bulb units in them - aren't they just H6024 replacement units factory installed?

Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Offhand I do not know what brand they are as every 5 years when they put out a RFP for 5 years for new buses they will from time to time change the specs of the buses and as we have buses from Gillig 40 foot which have the rectangular LEDS and MCI's 45 foot that have the round LEDS and New Flyer 60 foot which have a futuristic style LEDS but I will find out what they specd. As far as the snow is concerned we haven't had any real problems with the snow sticking to them and haven't heard complaints from driver's. I would say we have them on 100+ buses and are now being specd standard on all new bus orders. Now the LED brake lights, turn signals and backup lights at the rear of the bus are another issue. They will get snow covered and have to be cleaned off from time to time usually at a layover.

Edited by - schoolbus50 on 06/14/2016 5:25:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  4:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
partsman_ba

Dialight is the name of the LED lights we use.

4”x6” LED Headlamps (Used on our 40 foot Gillig buses)

http://www.dialight.com/Assets/Brochures_And_Catalogs/Signaling/MDTB46HX001.pdf

90mm LED Headlamps (Used on our MCI buses)

http://www.dialight.com/Assets/Brochures_And_Catalogs/Signaling/MDTBLBHX001.pdf

As I have said before we have had no issues with these lights getting covered with snow in the winter.

Edited by - schoolbus50 on 06/17/2016 5:10:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. schoolbus50!

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2016 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my observations so far:

Truck-Lite: Good beam pattern, definitely brighter than Wagner Brite-Lite halogens
JW Speaker: Designed for off-roaders - heavy duty with a matching price point
Maxxima: OK, but not as wide a pattern as Truck-Lite
Grote: Made by Maxxima
Dialight: No dealer nearby
Optronics: Weird look - has a bunch of polka dot LEDs

Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  4:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our 60 foot New Flyer buses have a custom made LED headlight by JW Speaker.

Edited by - schoolbus50 on 06/24/2016 4:49:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  2:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw the new Truck-Lite catalog and they now offer 7" heated units. If you happen to be in Europe, they now have 7"/5"X7" ECE rated units as well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000