Back up cameras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  09:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is anyone running on there buses if so what kind and any pros/cons you run into my boss wants me to look into them. Thanks

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  11:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have one on our mobile STEM lab and on our new mail van they are awesome. will check tomorrow on the manufactures.
Our school buses have a lower window in the back door and good adjustable side mirrors, but no cameras.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have a few with back up cameras they work well but take some getting use to i still find my self using the mirrors more then the camera we have the factory camera which is in the big rear view mirror so half the mirror goes to the camera and the other have stays a mirror so it takes some getting us to
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if they will be mandated in time. I know the mirror manufacturer, Rosco, has them. Here's a link.https://www.roscovision.com/our-products/backup-camera-systems I'm not sure where we'd put the monitor. In Illinois you can't have anything on the dash because of concern about seeing a child crossing in front of the bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  12:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like i was sayim the ones in our bus are rosco and they are part of the big interior mirror when u put in reversre a part of the mirror turns into the camera display the othere half stays a mirror
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have these from Rosco: https://www.roscovision.com/our-products/view/stsk1030
We like them for the most part. My only complaint is that the mirror itself is a little bit darker than the standard, OEM mirror - I think to hide the monitor when it's not on. In low light situations, it is harder to see the rear of the bus. In mid day, full light, it is fine. I talked to someone from Rosco and he said they are aware of it and were working on making the mirror itself brighter.
We also had one that went bad and Rosco sent a new monitor - no charge.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  10:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, as someone else suggested, they definitely aren't a replacement for using the mirrors. It's just an added safety feature that eliminates the blind spot immediately behind the bus.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  11:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had one for about 3 years now. Rosco brand.

Two gripes: display is too bright in times of darkness (doesn't detect and compensate for ambient lighting) and we had to install it with the screen to the left so the red/yellow/green grid on the display is upside down. You can't flip that in the settings or at least not when mine was made. The only fix would be putting it with the screen to the right but the cabling isnt long enough.

It will not replace mirror use...only supplement it. It's great to make sure no cars snuck up behind you or to help you back up close to things. It would be a blessing on a rear engine bus.

Drivers like it but not enough to get any more of them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000