Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 vt 365 question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  04:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what type of issues are you guys seeing with the vt 365 engine that cause them to be hated so badly? Honest question here!!

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  05:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should get thinks started;
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38130&SearchTerms=vt365

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  05:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think this website server can handle this thread it may crash LOL.... One word comes to mind when I hear VT365, "JUNK".
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  05:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i actually like the engine and have had very few issues with them. that should now get it fired up correctly
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  05:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from what ive read on this forum about that engine, you dont need a big spoon to stir this pot.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  06:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N2682,

How many miles on your engines? Oil change intervals?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  06:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll name a few of my complaints, maybe JUNK was a little harsh.

1. Driver complaints of low power.
2. EGR cooler gets trashed if water level drops.
3. Injectors don't last.
4. Engine wears under 100k no matter oil change interval or oil type.
5. All my VT365 smoke from new.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  10:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have VT365s with 150`000 miles plus and not that much trouble,
Injectors around 100`000, one turbo, two lower IDM boards one egr cooler. i have six of them.
About the same as maxforce DTs as far as repairs.
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  11:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think the biggest issue with the engine in general is no one knew to watch out for oil cooler issues and the egr is junk from the word get and the lazy ficm or idm with lower than 48v. but if oyu keep less than a 15 degree delta and update the egr cooler it is an ok engine. the idm suffers from cold solder joints on the power side. but i have alot of them with 200k
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  04:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 22 of them averaging 240,000 miles. They eat us out of house and home time and money wise,...but only one lower end failure. EGR coolers, IDM feed circuit problems, IPR's, screens under the oil cooler, injectors, turbo's, head gasket leaks, IDM's, harness issues, ebp sensors/clogging, front cover gaskets, fuel line failures that run behind the compressor, STC fittings, y-pipe or front pipe failures, etc. Keep your oil clean (we do 5,000 miles between oil changes) and keep your injector mileages down and they run better.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2016 :  11:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thing that comes to mind is its a BOAT ANCHOR! That's about all its worth.

13 EGR coolers, 3 oil coolers, 3 sets of injectors, 4 IDM lower boards, Bad injector wiring harness, plugged EBP tubes, too many MAF and MAT sensors to count, 3 bad fuel lift pumps, 4 ICP sensors, Oil screens failing, Leaking Turbo (oil) and one engine that left "chunks" of metal in the oil (Blown engine). We change oil and fuel filters every 5000 miles.

I failed to mention that we only have 2 of these engines (thank god).

So yep, BOAT ANCHORS!

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  2:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive had constant and never ending trouble with
bad wiring,turbo vane drive pins snapping, broken bellows tubes,plugged DOC, sticking egr valves, injectors with stiction, split tips,bad pintles, leaking front cover gaskets, rocker arm lever pivots breaking off,countless egr cooler failures, broken exhaust manifold bolts, wiped out cam lobes and lifters,leaking high pressure rail orings and stand pipes,plugged oil coolers, 100% ripped screens under oil cooler ,bad idms,plugged back pressure sensors,head gaskets,bed plate seal leaks,bad glow plug relays, bad glow plugs, the list goes on and on. Other than these things the engine is great. Most of our vt365s had between 30 and 50 trips to the dealer before warranty was up . Everything from reprogramming to recalls, injectors , blown engines. Comparatively the t444e's had less than a dozen dealer trips before warranty was out .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000