Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Cummins 6.7 codes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BrokenBus

10 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  07:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BrokenBus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have an 08 BlueBird with the Cummins that has 2 codes:
  • 2387 Actuator control circuit for the variable geometry turbine VGT. Incorrect reply from mechanical system. Firmly seated or incorrectly adjusted.
  • 2637 Diesel oxidation or catalyst. Fault, component blocked or clogged.

It seems to run fine, but the engine light is flashing. We removed the DPF and cleaned it and reinstalled. It was semi-dirty, but we saw no change after cleaning it. We removed the actuator from the turbo, but my techs are new to this VGT. We recalibrated it, but saw no change. Any advice would be appreciated.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  08:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you have a quickserve account?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

BrokenBus

10 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  08:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit BrokenBus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, it looks like the username and password we have is no longer good. I've been here about a year, and am working with accounts created by previous managers.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just make a new one. quick and easy. itll give you personally 5 engine serial numbers for free i think.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  08:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you remove and inspect the DOC?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  08:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the DOC. We've had codes point to DPF on two of the oldest 6.7's and it was actually a dirty DOC, which was inhibiting the engines ability to heat the DPF properly.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  09:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these both active codes? Even after the VGT recal? You've probably had (or still have) a VGT problem which has kept the regen from happening.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

BrokenBus

10 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit BrokenBus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes they are active, and pardon the ignorance but what is the DOC? (EDIT: MY BRAIN WASN'T WORKING AFTER LUNCH AND I REALIZE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE DIESEL OXIDATION CATALYST). Yes, we can see right through it.

Also, thanks for the advice on Cummins Quickserve. It gave me some good info as a starting point to keep diagnosing. I'm from the automotive world and am having to transition to the bus world.

Edited by - BrokenBus on 05/17/2016 10:03:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just had all of our 2013 IC's with MaxxForce 7's DPF's replaced for excessive black smoke, (under warranty) All of the internals were broken to pieces.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  11:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Run the trouble tree for the 2387 code first. We've had a couple of VGTs fail on our buses.

Go to Top of Page

BrokenBus

10 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit BrokenBus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Upon closer inspection, with the actuator off we can only move the 'lever' on the turbo part way til it binds up. We can bump it lightly and it will go all the way. Is there a way to clean the internals of the turbo, or is it toast and time for a replacement?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  11:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is cleanable.
Here is a youtube video of a similar turbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTqZPbBet0I

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  12:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quickserve is your best friend. ive found that the "shop talk" section at the bottom of the code explanation page really helpful too. its also gives you a complete parts breakdown based on engine serial number.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

BrokenBus

10 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  1:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit BrokenBus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! We pulled the turbo and will be disassembling tomorrow and cleaning. I'll post updates along the way.
Go to Top of Page

BrokenBus

10 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  05:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit BrokenBus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We pulled the housing apart and cleaned. It moves in and out as designed when it is disassembled, but when we stab it back together, it binds up. Is there a certain way to line it up perfectly when reassembling the turbo housing? We lined up the dowel pin of course, but the vanes are what I'm worried aren't totally fitting together if that makes sense.

UPDATE: THE FINS/VANES ON THE VGT ASSEMBLY ARE DISTORTED AND BINDING THEMSELVES (VERIFIED WITH PAINT MARKER). A NEW TURBO IS ON ORDER. ONLY OTHER OPTION WAS TO CLEARANCE OUT THE SLOTS THEY FIT INTO, BUT THAT ISN'T "FIXING" IT.

Edited by - BrokenBus on 05/18/2016 07:49:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  4:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you went for the full meal deal. I've got an installed VGT sitting on the shelf that didn't fix this same problem.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000