Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Diagnostic Laptop and Software (Diesel)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  12:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are researching for a new laptop to run our diagnostic software for Maxxforce, Cummins, Allison, and Bendix. Has anyone used the Toughbook and PF diagnostics? We are looking to see what`s worked best for you. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bus Tech1

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  12:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't used either those, but I am using a dell laptop.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  1:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish we had a toughbook, we have a regular Dell laptop. One drop and its all over.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  1:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 3 Panasonic Toughbooks and a Dell tough laptop that we loaded software onto. They are expensive, but if you happen to knock one down...

Most important thing is to get a Nexiq adapter instead of, say, a Cummins Inline so you can use it with every program.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  1:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We run JPro with a Panasonic Toughbook. I love the laptop, JPro is nice, but it's a read only software. It gives direct access to Cummins, International, Thomas, Allison, Bendix, but you have to purchase each dealer's software individually through them. They give you an access code and once you have access, JPro will be able to access it. Also, JPro has a Next Step feature, which I think would be a nice addition, but we haven't bought it for the shop yet and so I haven't had any experience with it. The DLA+ adapter that comes with JPro is compatible with every manufacturer. When setting it up with Cummins, it took a half hour, but it works and we haven't had any problems.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  05:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Snap-On Nexiq but a few years ago we got a laptop with the software on it. We looked into the Toughbooks and our tech guys said for the price they were asking we could get insurance on a regular laptop and actually save money. That's what we did and I never had a problem. Fast forward a few years and I needed to get a new laptop. Cool! I thought. Not! The software wouldn't transfer over. Was going to have to repurchase all the software. That's the reason I went with Snap-On. If I had it to do over I might go with a different brand. I haven't had very good service out of my Snap-On dealer. Just my two cents!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use two toughbooks loaded with factory software, I had to replace one due to age and all programs loaded over to new one without a problem.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  2:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drp53188

I use two toughbooks loaded with factory software, I had to replace one due to age and all programs loaded over to new one without a problem.

At the time, most of my engines were Cat. They said no way, no how. I said OK, no way no how do I buy another engine from you. lol Guess that promise won't be hard to keep see as though they don't build them for buses anymore.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2016 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol we've had more problems with our CAT engines than Cummins. So I'm glad we don't have many in our fleet.
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  07:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Tech1

We are researching for a new laptop to run our diagnostic software for Maxxforce, Cummins, Allison, and Bendix. Has anyone used the Toughbook and PF diagnostics? We are looking to see what`s worked best for you. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bus Tech1

We have 8 toughbooks with Cummins, Allison, SeviceMaxx, DLB, and DDDL and have been very happy with them. We used noregon dla+, but have switched to the nexiq2.0 adapter. If you go the Toughbook route, its possible in a few years its software will not support newer versions of diagnostic software. we learned that the hard way. whatever adapter you decide on, make sure to get the new 500k baud adapter, the 250k connector will NOT plug in to the new "green" diagnostic ports.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
whatever adapter you decide on, make sure to get the new 500k baud adapter, the 250k connector will NOT plug in to the new "green" diagnostic ports.

What have you seen with the high speed ports? Thought my newest batch of T3RE's would have it, but so far they've been all grey.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we us a tough book and a dell i love the tough box never gives me any problems i have jpro insite allison doc wabco service max and frieghtliner service link with a nexiq adapter it works great but the dell gives me problems from time to time the tough book is pricey but man it never gives me problems and the battery last long
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  4:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

quote:
whatever adapter you decide on, make sure to get the new 500k baud adapter, the 250k connector will NOT plug in to the new "green" diagnostic ports.

What have you seen with the high speed ports? Thought my newest batch of T3RE's would have it, but so far they've been all grey.

Our 2017 Thomas C2s and the 2017 ICs have the new connector. Its something that our stupid EPA came up with. It supposed to be on all heavy duty built in 2016 and up. We accidentally found it when we tried to reset our speeds. The only difference is the speed (250kvs500k) and 3 of the 9 pins are smaller, making it not plug in to the port. I have heard of an "adapter" for the older style 9 pin plugs and the 250k supposedly reads data much slower for the new OBD16.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2016 :  12:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information! I`ll try to make an educated recommendation and see what the powers that be will come up with. It`s hard to purchase something new when you know how fast the technology changes.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  08:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met the green connector for the first time today. I needed to do a recording for Allison on one of the new CE's. Not today!

I have a Noregon J-pro DLA + (USB only)...hoping I can get away with just a new cable and not having to buy a whole new setup.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  09:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a new truck last Thursday, it has the green plug.
My new diagnostic computer/software was also ordered last week- I didn't know until reading this that it needed a different connector. Emailing my rep now.
:)
Go to Top of Page

LTHS

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  06:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we got the snap on pro link this year
no yearly updating like service maxx for your labtop
and we got maxxfoce, cummins, international, allison, wabco programs
and its nice still learning it way better than a labtop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000