Oh Oh, Pieces Stuck to Drain Plug Magnet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like needle bearing roller pieces, one about 5/16" long, three others about 1/8 to 3/16" long.......83,000 mile MaxxForce 7. Guess I have more to be concerned about than the pesky on and off check engine light. Examination of oil filter reveals metal particles visible between the folds.

Edited by - Fastback on 05/10/2016 09:10:35 AM

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know of anybody doing that Cummins repower deal to get rid of these pieces of crap? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I am pushing for, just going to consider the differance in cost between a reman Maxxforce 7 with little warranty and the repower with a NEW 2007 emission Cummins with 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and a claimed 17% fuel economy increase to be an investment.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  12:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like the better move IMO. would you also have to have your highway patrol re-certify after that project? i found out that i would have to do that here in CA, and if i recall, it would only be possible if it were an option from the factory. otherwise id have a mountain of paperwork to deal with and a ton of hoops to jump through. lucky for me ive only got one DT466E and a few old 3126 CATs left. all pre epa7.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cummins says it is done in compliance of EPA regulations. The engine block and possibly crankshaft must be destroyed(apparently that process is already in the works) and taken out of circulation and proper documentation must be on file prior to the repower.

Edited by - Fastback on 05/10/2016 12:27:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would think you could get 17 percent better fuel economy with the cummins .... most of my DT's average around 8 mpg on fleet software as long as mileage is entered correctly.. My 6.7's show around the 10 mpg or slighly better... 17 percent of 8 is 1.36... I say we are aroung 25 percent better with the Cummins.. of course fuel miles depends alot on route and drivers driving habits... Mine are all special needs runs less stops, longer distant in between...probably helps our fuel economy getting bus up to speed for longer times... What do your 7's get for average fuel miles?

Edited by - slippert on 05/10/2016 12:47:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  1:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel for you. Sounds like the roller on the lifter came apart and chewing on the cam. Been there, hope you get to repower it. I had to repair our Maxx7 hunk of junk, boss wouldn't go for repowering it.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  04:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that happen on a VT365 and it is still running to this day (5 years later).
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  07:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Does anybody know of anybody doing that Cummins repower deal to get rid of these pieces of crap? Just curious.

there have been a few in our state that have been repowered with cummins and it is VERY expensive. we had the cummins rep meet with us and to our understanding cummins doesn't want to let anyone do it in house because of the possible epa fines associated with improper installations. even if we were to install it, it would only save 5k-6k. we were quoted 27k for the cummins repower. and the possible 10k/day epa fine if we were allowed to install turned us off very quickly. in my opinion it isn't worth it, when I can buy 2 complete drop ins and a long block for 27k.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  11:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...that is steep.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  05:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small school here, inadequate facilities to do the job in house so regardless bus is going somewhere to repair.
Once you experience the pain of having Cummins troubleshoot and repair the SCR system on an out of warranty bus to the tune of $9,000 plus, it sorta brings a new perspective to whats expensive.

Edited by - Fastback on 05/17/2016 05:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Small school here, inadequate facilities to do the job in house so regardless bus is going somewhere to repair.
Once you experience the pain of having Cummins troubleshoot and repair the SCR system on an out of warranty bus to the tune of $9,000 plus, it sorta brings a new perspective to whats expensive.

This is where I say "propane wouldn't cause that problem". lol, we live in interesting times!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  07:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

This is where I say "propane wouldn't cause that problem". lol, we live in interesting times!

No not that problem anyway.....
It would be nice if we had a power choice in a transit style bus.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000