Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Electric entrance door troubles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rickluc

6 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  04:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit rickluc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got c CE300 2010 AB185125. Been having problem with electric door not opening while bus is on route. It even acted up on me once. Some time when you push the open button on steering wheel the door will not repond, you have to push a few times and it will open. Of course the stop arm doesn't repond either. I've replaced both steering wheel switches, adjusted the micro switches up by door. I,ve looked on ISIS for help, nothing there. Can someone tell me what "Redundant Door Controls" means? How does that applie to me? How can I determent what relays are for my door controls, are there two relays? Thanks

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  05:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is speedometer always functioning correctly?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  07:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it will be the closed position micro switch out of adj. what happens is the motor keeps trying to pull the door closed and there is a thermal breaker in the motor that open circuits causing an unresponsive door. 10-20 sec later it cools off and works again. confirm with a multi meter.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  03:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had one similar to this last winter tried everything finally replaced the motor it was about $130 took it apart the brushes inside were worn out. Had an awful time getting the new one in the gear wouldn't push back far enough to disengage the door for manually opening it, had to shim it and take the grinder to the edge of the big gear. Hour and a half to do a half hour job!!
Go to Top of Page

rickluc

6 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  03:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit rickluc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After further diagnostics,I've found also that I can leave door latch open and push the amber and red buttons and some times the lights will flash and sometimes they do some weird things. Like pushing the red flasher buttons the amber lights on top might flash. Some weird stuff. So my problem might be more on the flasher/stop arm probable. What and where is the system controller? Thanks

Edited by - rickluc on 05/10/2016 04:18:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  05:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The body controller is behind the stepwell heater, right side of the dash. Big silver box. Switch it out with a known good on of the same model year and you will know if it is the controller. You could diagnose it if you had diamond logic builder.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

rickluc

6 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  08:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit rickluc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had Diamond Logic back when my computer ran Windows XP. They bought me a new laptop with Windows 7. The Diamond I had wouldn't install on Windows 7. So that's where I sit now. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  09:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 05 to and including 09 IC's and can only speak on what I have seen on them.
We have never replaced a body control module.

A couple of quick checks I use, when you hit the open button does the step light come on? Assuming it works, :) if it did the the BCM sees the signal from the switch. When it is acting up, touch the door motor, carefull it gets HOT, if it is to hot to hold then it is your limit switch adjustment. as exmod110 said above. The internal breaker trips and resets. So far,this has always been the cause I have found when dealing with the problem you mention.

I have found a few times over the years when dealing with a short, or when someone adds power to check a circuit :( with the BCM still connected that it has knocked the BCM out for a while. Sometimes you have to wait overnight for it to wake up and work correctly again.
To this point (knock on wood) we have not replaced a BCM. Sometimes just unplugging connectors and plugging back in again will make a better connection and fix intermittent problems.
Go to Top of Page

rickluc

6 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  02:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit rickluc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When the door works the step well light works properly. If your leave the door unlatched (so it doesn't open and close)the 8 way lights should still work properly, correct? I took it out for a drive a couple of days back and ran through the sequence 40 times, all was well. Left it set in shop over night with door latched and open with switch. The next morning I got on bus and just turned key on and pushed the door close switch and NOTHING. Ended up wiggling wire under steering column wires, don't believe this is the problem because I can wiggle wires again and make it act up. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  2:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar issue last winter... the door wasn't adjusted exactly right. When it closed it would go PAST the microswitch on occasion. Not every time, mind you, but every 50 cycles or so. Not often enough to diagnose easily.

"Just... I dunno... Just fix it."
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one little tidbit to add if the body control computer sees an overload such as a short to ground from say a chafed wire it to will turn the circuit off had this same issue took a while to find that one wire but finaly found it and no more issues

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  12:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have come to learn 90% of the time its a chaffed wire there harnesses are run so poorly and no wire loom i would check wiring where ever it passes threw metal or hangs close to it i have chased many electrical problems and most of time its a chaffed or cut wire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000