Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC axles breaking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  6:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard about another local company breaking a drive axle on a new IC last night, Only to find the exact same problem on our new IC today! This bus has 12,500 miles on it.

Anyone else seeing this?

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  05:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one break on a bus with about 5K miles on it. Navistar denied the claim however, because they determined it was driver abuse. Turns out he was on some snow/ice and was rocking it. We didn't tell them that of course, but they determined it was driver abuse.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  05:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I call BS! Anyone ever break an axle trying to get out of snow?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  06:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the BS call. Just another excuse from IC not standing behind their junk.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  06:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What year range are we talking here? 2015 or 16 build dates? are you talking axle shafts or axle housing? if it is housing that is broken, I wouldn't take the answer of abuse or too severe of use...

I have seen axle shafts break, pinion shafts snapped off and spider/differenial gears exploded from high speed spinning or being stuck in snow,ice and or dirt...doesn't matter what material the vehicle is stuck in,,, if that wheel that is spinning comes to an abrupt stop on dry material it puts a severe stress on alot of parts and the potential to break something is there...

Now if your finding axle housings broken after that short of time, I would call BS too! unless your rock crawling with it, would have to be some severe use on it IMO to break housing at 12000 miles

Edited by - slippert on 04/29/2016 07:04:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  09:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ours was the axle and part of one of the gears, I don't remember which one. And the video did show him going from D to R and rocking it, so we didn't argue the point.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  09:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI IC did not make the axle so why bash a company for a vendor problem?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  09:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drp53188

IC administers the warranty. I'm not bashing anyone here, by the way. It doesn't matter what company it is. I understand the explanation about too much torque when hitting dry pavement though. So, maybe BS was called a little too soon. I would still be skeptical though. Unless the wheels were hitting 50 mph or more, I'd say there wouldn't be a reason to snap the axle. Just my two cents.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  11:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would note the original posters name is "iceracer"

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe I seconded the BS too quick. However, That answer above is almost word for word what I got from my IC dealer on their window problems. His comment was " We don't make the windows" No, maybe not, however that and other issues with IC is why they have such a black eye right now.

Abuse and miss-use shouldn't be covered under warranty.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  12:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:

Maybe I seconded the BS too quick. However, That answer above is almost word for word what I got from my IC dealer on their window problems. His comment was " We don't make the windows" No, maybe not, however that and other issues with IC is why they have such a black eye right now.

Abuse and miss-use shouldn't be covered under warranty.

Speaking of that........ Wonder if they will be making buses much longer? Just wondering, haven't heard anything.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  12:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a 2011 Silverado from a Chrysler dealer and after repeated "returns" to the dealer for a very minor and easily diagnosed ABS issue the salesman said "We didn't build it..." I said "YEAH but you #### sold it to me, and if you can't stand behind what you sell... you won't be in business long. So I HATE the "We didn't build it we just sold it attitude. Its an easy way to make an already angry person.... livid.

I worked in the warranty office at the BB dealer here, and I know how all that works.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 04/30/2016 11:07:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where's the LIKE button Fastbck?

I will agree with ya Bwest... it does take high speed and sudden stop to break parts, problem I have always had was I wasn't the one driving the truck or bus

I don't believe I have ever had anyone who willingly admitted or realized they were spinning their wheels that fast when that problem problem occured.. lol, Story always goes.... I was just rockin it back and forth.....
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How would someone rock a bus bad enough to break an axle nowadays? Mine do that "Range Inhibit" crap if someone tries anything too stupid with them.

More like spinning wheels and them getting traction again real fast. Or brittle axle shafts. Couldn't hurt to file with NHTSA just in case this becomes a trend.
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  3:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whether it was an IC, BB or Thomas, I find it interesting that an axle has this problem being new. I have been a driver for 22 years, hands-on with maintenance for the last 10. Don't let my name confuse you, I am not the driver of either of the buses! I have not seen this happen in all my years around buses, which is why I posted about it.

The axle broke at the flange- its still bolted to the hub, the end of the axle cracked and eventually just spins in that flange. (ours did not get to that point, we got it to our dealer) If I can figure out how to upload a pic, I will.

It is a 2016 with the Cummins.

Edited by - iceracer on 04/29/2016 3:47:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  04:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus is correct. I forgot about the "range inhibited", so it would darn near impossible to rock on. I know I had a bus stuck in the mud a few months ago and couldn't rock it what so ever because of that.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  04:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah that built in protection feature of range inhibit does make sudden forward to reverse literaly impossible....
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  05:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceracer

Whether it was an IC, BB or Thomas, I find it interesting that an axle has this problem being new. I have been a driver for 22 years, hands-on with maintenance for the last 10. Don't let my name confuse you, I am not the driver of either of the buses! I have not seen this happen in all my years around buses, which is why I posted about it.

The axle broke at the flange- its still bolted to the hub, the end of the axle cracked and eventually just spins in that flange. (ours did not get to that point, we got it to our dealer) If I can figure out how to upload a pic, I will.

It is a 2016 with the Cummins.

Find a photo sharing site such as Photobucket, upload there and put the link here. There's a few choices on how to share on those sites. Its's been so long since I've done it I can't remember but the proper one will make it appear in the text here. Good luck

I was thinking if you want to push it you could have it analyzed by a metallurgist to see if there was a weak spot in the axle. May not be worth the effort though. Not sure how the filing with NHTSA would go but that sounds like a logical route.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  06:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its not that hard to get one side spinning at 50mph if the other side is barely moving as speed doubles inside the diff if one wheel is stationary. If one wheel was barely moving, an indicated 30mph on the speedo will do the job fairly easily.
Does this bus have the overly intrusive traction control? If so then "driver abuse" can almost be taken out of the argument, even with the "mud-snow" switch... Traction control for being stuck in snowy conditions ***** ass!! Speaking from experience here, typically the first thing I do when I go out to a stuck bus is disconnect the right front abs speed sensor to totally disable the traction control and 9 times out of 10 I can then get the bus moving again (IC buss's). Depending on the manufacturer the range inhibit function is not as intrusive or protective as others...

Edited by - exmod110 on 05/02/2016 09:38:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000