2005 DT466EGR Thermostat issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2016 :  9:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering how many out there that have 2005 IC FE buses are having issues with Thermostats failing. In the past 5 years we have changed no less than 30 T-stats in only 19 buses. We have had them break in just about every way possible. Some have stuck open and others closed. We have been getting genuine International parts and the dealer claims to "not seen any issues".

We know this is not a coolant issue due to the fact that it only happens on our FE buses. WE replaced all the radiators last year due to the radiators getting plugged with "crap". Our RE buses have had very few issues with them. Recently we begun to notice coolant leaks between the cover halves on front of the engine just below the water pump. We believe this might be caused by stuck closed T-stats causing excessive pressure in the cooling system which and then leaking out between the halves.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  03:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you are describing sure sounds like a coolant issues. Like wrong type. What engine does the bus have in it? what does the owners manual recommend for the type of coolant, (Additive package, replacement intervals?) This a good placed to start.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  04:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heater hoses silicone? Falling apart internally, gumming things up...I seem to remember a series of buses having hoses that didn't play nice with the Rotella coolant.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  07:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^^ agree with that too.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use 1842130C3 t-stats in the blue motor DT's and the MFDT's with good success along with Mobil Delvac ELC RTU and a mix of rubber and silicone hose. Last problem I remember was a stuck open (about 20%) causing the engine to run at about 130. These say "Caltherm USA" on the back. The failed one was vintage 08/12. New in box one marked the same with 7/15 date.

The I-6 OE water pumps don't last as long as I'd like. We have about 60 I-6's and 40 MF7's. We also have 25 3126's left, and don't see a bunch of t-stat work there either.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to say these are CE's not FE's....
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2016 :  6:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have around 10 FE300's, but they are '07 and we haven't had any problems with the cooling system or thermostats on ours. We use Final Charge Red Heavy Duty coolant. The only issues we have had were with the EGR systems and having the coolers spring coolant leaks internally. But this sounds like a common problem with IC.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000