Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 05 Bluebird DT466E engine oil leak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LRed

10 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit LRed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have this bus that has an engine oil leak from under the ECU and dripping onto the fuel filter, as well as covering the side of the engine. It runs down the fuel filter, looking like the filter isn't tight. The HPOP output line is soaked too. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this have the Cummins 5.9L motor?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  1:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Bluebird would not have a DT466E in it, or at least it shouldn't. A DT466E common rail gasket leak or the oring around the HPOP line would be my guess.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  05:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my guess is ICP sensor on the high pressure rail is cracked or pushing oil through connector
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DT466E is in the International chassis with Bluebird body. Fuel rail gasket...changed a few of those
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  07:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did realize they put International engines in BlueBirds that new. I don't see any listing for a DT on the BlueBird parts page. I had heard that in 03 when International started building their own buses the left BlueBird out to dry.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI We have an 05 (466)and 06 (VT365)Blue Bird bodies on IH chassis.

We have had several leak from the crank case breather, the O ring fail where it mounts to the valve cover, and/or from the hose that comes off it.
Also we have replace leaking HP oil hoses off the HP oil pump. You might have to clean it off, run and check where the leak is coming from. Just remember there is high pressure oil, wear your safety glasses :)
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  09:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To correct my post above, I meant to say I didn't realize they put International engines in Bluebirds beyond 03.

However what I did find is BlueBird made a SBCV bus from 2005-2008. It was an IC chassis with a BlueBird body but they were not widely used due to the alignment between chassis and body manufactures. ( Most likely left over stock from when IC started building their own buses)

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

LRed

10 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  07:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit LRed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All great ideas. We'll check them out and let you know what we found out. Thank you all.
LRed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000