Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 08 BB RE front driver heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Driver of bus complains that front driver heater is just blowing cold air. Rear heater and front defroster are blowing warm but not hot air. Checked booster pump with front switch and can hear motor running. Checked valves and both are in the on position. Engine getting up to normal temp when running. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  3:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a temp. control switch on the dash? I'm not familiar with RE buses, but on our FE transits there is a temp control knob that the driver's turn down sometimes. Then another driver gets in the bus complains she doesn't have heat. I'll turn that knob all the way to hot and it's toasty! On our 08' BB transits, it's a red and black sticker and black knob.
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  10:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes there is a temp. control switch and I turned it all the way to hot and still cannot get any heat out of front driver heater.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  03:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming it's full of coolant and the coolant doesn't look like something out of a diaper, which is something seen on CAT powered birds but usually an older vintage...

On the FE's that electically controlled valve is behind the panel that covers the right front heater, I would think it's the same on the RE. It's a pain in the ***, but you need to remove that panel and verify the valve is opening. They seize up and ruin our day from time to time. Easy to see if the hose on one side is hot and cold on the other!

For what it's worth, we hose barb the line together without a valve. No more $75 piece of crap valve and no more "my bus is cold" (because they forget to turn the knob) complaints!
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does the electrically controlled valve also control the left side small heater at the bus drivers seat?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  10:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On mine, yes it does. When that gets turned off, the entire front goes cold. I can't say if that's typical for the FEs and certainly not the REs. Right front filter needs cleaned anyways ;)
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  8:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it will cut out your heaters. I did one about 6 months ago, not as bad as I thought it would be. I found the inside of the valve to have silicone and that deteriorated and kept the valve from turning open. If all other options have failed, I would look into this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000