Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 International Bus 05 Window Latch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jczanstke

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  06:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jczanstke's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have a bus that is an International 05, It has the black window latches with the pin in them. My questions is how do I replace them without taking the window out? I am having trouble putting new ones in. Please help.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1219

Are they like the last three with pictures? ***Take note everyone...they for Thomas, IC and some Carpenters and have been discontinued by the manufacturer*** Buy up any you can find!

Assuming I'm identifying the correct setup:
You lower the window and drive that pin down with a punch. The latch will slide over to a cutout that allows you to pull it out of the frame.

Installation is reversed except you will be driving the pin in again from the top. Parts are easy to lose, so it won't hurt to have a couple of those pin and spring kits on hand!!!!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  08:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.directbus.com/category_s/2.htm

I will see your post Thomasbus.... Here's the same from HeavyDuty bus parts.

The hardest part is lining up the hole in the little block with the pin before you drive it in place.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heavy Duty Bus Parts has them for 8.41 each latch so 16.82 per window. Get practiced up at changing them if you have IC buses. There is a hole in the side of the latch that you can reach through with an L shaped oring pick and push the block around to align it with the hole where the pin goes in. They arent too bad once you figure out the procedure. Did I mention IC windows suck!...

Edited by - wjbusguy on 02/03/2016 1:50:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  03:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 2004 IC bus that had the much heavier laminated glass in the side windows, lots of latches replaced on that one. All our other ICs have tempered glass in the side windows, much lighter and rarely a latch problem in those for us.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  04:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use International replacements #2610206C92. We have had great luck with the new replacements. And yes they are quick and easy to replace so you will get good at it.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  1:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jczanstke,
Another thing to look into is the punched slot for the latch tongue. I have issues with the bus flexing and allowing the windows to unlatch and drop to the next slot. I've had to take a punch and open the slot upward to allow more of the latch tongue to get into the opening. Seems to stop 90% of my problems.
earl
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  10:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old post. However, I'm wondering if there is a fix for these junk things. I have a 2010 IC that I removed a student window and replaced the latches on. Even before I got the window back in it doesn't latch on the very same side. The latches, cost almost 40 bucks for a pair, don't even have a point on them. They are plastic and I'm not impressed. Anyone else have this issues?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1219 Are yours the type shown, 2nd down?

My TAC rep told me that they have discovered that Carpenter latches fit and cost a lot less. http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1216 1st item.

Longevity...too soon to call.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  11:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My part number ends in 92 instead of 9+1. I jacked around here and found out that the reason this latch isn't seating is the way the hole is punched in the track. I'm surprised I haven't seen this before. I took a square needle file and took off the lip and it works well now. I'm thinking this is going to fix my problems on all of them. Now to figure out if I can do it without removing the window!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  4:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

My part number ends in 92 instead of 9+1. I jacked around here and found out that the reason this latch isn't seating is the way the hole is punched in the track. I'm surprised I haven't seen this before. I took a square needle file and took off the lip and it works well now. I'm thinking this is going to fix my problems on all of them. Now to figure out if I can do it without removing the window!

Are you talking about the metal bent down when they punch out the hole. Our six new ones have screws falling out of the window frame because the screws were improperly installed.

Formally ICBUS0730

Edited by - ICBUS07-30 on 03/13/2017 4:10:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  06:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, where they are punched out. I haven't gotten this back out on the route yet because of some other issues but I think this is going to fix it. Me and this bus have a history going all the way back to the begining. lol, I don't like it and it doesn't like me. Every time I turn around there is something new with it! Like a thorn in the side.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  05:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.apartswarehouse.com/product/show/1893/ic-passenger-window-latch-repair-tool

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  05:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

https://www.apartswarehouse.com/product/show/1893/ic-passenger-window-latch-repair-tool

Humm, that's interesting. So, I assume it just pushes that little "flap" of aluminum back a little farther?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  05:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's cool! I may have to buy one of those to try out.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  11:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They do work good! not a cure all by any means, I would say it was 90 percent effective, the plus 9 windows still have some issues even after using tool.... I borrowed the neighboring districts that they purchased from A Parts and made one of my own, slightly longer and easier to hang on to... that one can be a knuckle buster if it slips..lol
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  2:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we tried that on our new ones with no luck.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  03:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will second the tool. We use a similar idea with a small lady slipper and bend the tab down slightly better. It cost a few bucks from napa and we had to grind it slightly smaller to fit into the frame. just a little lift and the aluminum tab bends inward slightly more. We did this to 11 2005s 2 years ago and have had 100% success.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000