Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 propane buses-round 2...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  7:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am looking for input on the Roush BB vs. Thomas propane...

We have some local companies running the BB propanes, and seem to be doing very well with them. I drove a new Thomas demo (diesel) today and really like it, so now have to dig for some info on their propane option. IC is not an option at this point, getting VERY TIRED of all the wonderful brake issues!

All input is welcomed!

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spec air brakes!

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
would love to, but less than 5% of our drivers have the air brake endorsement...
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  07:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have had good service from Blue Birds. I have only driven a Thomas so I'm not qualified to give any opinions on it. I am interested in how they are doing myself. I am also interested in how the IC engine is doing. I am having a tough time figuring out how they are getting the advertised HP an torque at the RPMs they are talking about.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  08:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC is on hold for delivery to customers. The school down my way has been told Summer for their unit.

There's been some reliability issues on the prototypes (no specifics given) and IC wants to get the changes in place to resolve them before sending them into the real world.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  09:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bwest, If I may, what is your current cost of propane per gallon?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  11:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we contracted at 1.24 but off the truck is right at .89 I think. Of course this is before taxes. So, my cost per mile would be about 20 cents for fuel if I were buying off the truck. Win some, loose some.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  11:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

bwest, If I may, what is your current cost of propane per gallon?

This is disheartening. I ask my salesman back in October if his unit would be delivered on time. Yep, sure will. Argh. Glad BB got the bid!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  11:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel for the salesmen on this. On one hand I give IC credit for waiting until the unit is ready for the world...on the other hand you have people who need these new buses and not excuses.

The consortium bid I joined this year added a $50/day late fee this last time...all because so many got stuck waiting while First Student got their orders moved to the front of the line. I won't name that manufacturer.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  11:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Well, we contracted at 1.24 but off the truck is right at .89 I think. Of course this is before taxes. So, my cost per mile would be about 20 cents for fuel if I were buying off the truck. Win some, loose some.

Yeah, who would of thought fuel prices would get this low again. Our last load of diesel was $1.35 for #2 Premium

Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  11:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't run any propane units here, but our last load of diesel, which was last week, was $0.925 per gallon.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  04:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am having a tough time figuring out how they are getting the advertised HP an torque at the RPMs they are talking about.

Read this.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0401-torque-horsepower-guide/
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronwilmoth80911

We don't run any propane units here, but our last load of diesel, which was last week, was $0.925 per gallon.

WOW! It won't stay this low for long though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  09:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're probably correct about that! We'll see what the next election brings....
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  10:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True statement on prices going back up, but I doubt it'll take til election.

There are 3 industries that will not stand to lose money... Insurance, Healthcare, and oil.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  10:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oil= OPEC. The guys here (including the majors) don't have any control over prices. OPEC is the only group that could affect the price. They are having trouble agreeing on production numbers. Good for consumers, bad for oil people.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  10:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point well taken.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceracer

would love to, but less than 5% of our drivers have the air brake endorsement...

My school district had the same problem when I was hired here 2 years ago. I had some drivers with air brake, and when I convinced the school board that air brakes were the way to go in the long run, the school district allowed the non-air drivers to be compensated for upgrading their licenses. Seemed to be a cost effective way of getting better brake system.
earl
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  05:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still don't fully understand the attraction of air brakes. They stop abruptly/ roughly and my kids hate to ride the one I have. The one bus I do have every driver, except the one that's been here the longest, has license to drive it. I just make it a policy that they get the endorsement because this is a handicap bus and I want anyone to be able to drive it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  05:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still don't fully understand the attraction of air brakes. They stop abruptly/ roughly and my kids hate to ride the one I have. The one bus I do have every driver, except the one that's been here the longest, has license to drive it. I just make it a policy that they get the endorsement because this is a handicap bus and I want anyone to be able to drive it.

I don't believe your air brake bus is the norm, we have air brake buses that stop very similar to our hydraulics, no more roughly or abrubtly. I very much doubt our passengers know the differance.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  06:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm the complete other way...I don't see the attraction to hydro brakes. The lines rust out, the calipers seize, "BRAKE PRESS" "BEEP BEEP BEEP" just because the bus feels like it...and if you are unlucky enough to that that Wabco nightmare IC uses...good Lord!
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  06:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Air brakes that stop abruptly/roughly likely need some attention.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  09:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless they are GMC chassis...I don't know what is different about those but man you don't dare just slap your foot against those brake pedals!!! I always figured it had to be lower crack pressures on all the valves making them so touchy.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  09:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last time I had a GM chassis was in the 80's. My memory isn't that good. :)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My air bus is a BB. I don't work on the brakes on it, I have a truck dealer do it for me. They say there isn't anything wrong with it. When you're backing up and put on the brakes it moans and groans. Hate it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  11:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

That's because your getting old :)
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  05:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan5r

quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

That's because your getting old :)

Yep, thanks brother.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000