newer model thomas hdx steering issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  09:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is just a heads up to my fellow fleet techs out there.
lately ive had drivers complain about popping sounds in the front end when they make tight turns. at first glance it seemed like the springs stretching/creaking a bit. on further inspection i found something a bit more concerning. observing the steering gear and the bracket that mounts it to the frame, while having someone turn the wheel from lock to lock, i saw that the mounting bracket has a bit of flex to it. and also noticed that this stress seems to have lessened the torque on the bolts mounting this bracket to the frame. the worst was this bracket sliding back and forth on the frame about an 1/8th inch which was the source of the "pop" sound. several of my buses had this condition to varying degrees. ive tightened all these bolts and will be contacting the dealer about it soon. i figured id post this here in case others have this condition as well.
thanks for reading
-Ken-

Edited by - krmvcs on 01/15/2016 09:25:49 AM

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  08:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up Ken, we will check out our units next week as we had seven units.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000