New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  10:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have this ic bus and there is no brake pressure to rear wheels i am assuming the pump is bad witch pump controls there rear is it the one in the back

steveolboy

8 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit steveolboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say " you are correct sir!". An Ed McMahon reference foy you all. The rear accumulator controls the rear, and the pump is the same. Go to wabco's document MM-0401 and it will take you through all the troubleshooting steps. Not for sure, but parts for these came in large expensive assemblies a few years back.
Go to Top of Page

busdoc

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit busdoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Below is an excerpt from the IC service manual for the FPB system.

Both pumps are located in cavities in the HCU, and are accessed from the bottom of the HCU. The retaining plug for the secondary system pump is visible on the bottom of the HCU ( FIGURE 66 ). While this pump is located nearest the front of the HCU, it pressurizes the rear axle brake system.

The retaining plug for the primary system pump is located under the relay valve assembly. This pump pressurizes the front axle brake system. Accessing the primary system pump requires moving the relay valve assembly.

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  09:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok the rear pump is nnot working that would be just an electric motor gone bad correct ? cause i called ic and told them i need a pump and they sent me a hydrolicc rebuild kit i am think i need just a motor?
Go to Top of Page

busdoc

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  11:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit busdoc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pump motors on the FPB HCU's are not serviceable. If you have a defective motor you will have to replace the HCU.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  08:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure to have IC double check for warranty. We were having a ton of issues with these, and WABCO extended the warranties on some parts of the system for several (I want to say 5?) years.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  09:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah we had a bunch covered to but this busseven years old so its way past there warrenty but thanks for the info
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that system. We have about 35 units from 2005-current with the same system. Problems, problems, problems. We figure 2-3 HCU each year, about $4k/unit with labor. Another big issue is in northern climates, the road salt wreaks havoc on all electrical, terminals, wiring, etc.
Go to Top of Page

04IC#14

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing we've done that's cut down on motor burnouts is when you first turn the key on let the brakes build up pressure the turn the key off, turn it back on to cycle the manifold heater then start the bus. Our mechanic figured starting the bus with the electric motors still building pressure was causing too much of a power draw to the motors and was burning them out. Don't know if there's anything to that or not, but we've replace a lot fewer motors since starting them that way.

Brandon

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anything is possible except for getting the drivers to start the bus like that lol its hard enough to get some of them to wait for the intake heater light to go out i am constantly screamin about that but they dont listen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000