New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posting this in the garage section because the rest of the forum has essentially died. Please forgive me!

Does anyone have any drivers using GPS for trips? Ohio allows this now (with certain stipulations) and there's been some interest around here.

I'm looking at a Garmin Truck unit that will even let me plug in info like the bus height and length and whatnot. It's just nice to hear from the people who actually have something rather than some of the clowns who post reviews online.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  05:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Drivers here in Georgia use their phones with google maps, yahoo maps, ect.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  05:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
our district does not. I think its a great idea specially with shop. we run around looking for a downed bus. it b nicwe to know where your goin. cuts time it takes to get to a down bus.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  07:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phone use is prohibited...it must be a mountable device.

This will be for trips mainly...not a daily drive thing.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to see it in ours. Like mhernandez73 said about knowing where a bus is when it breaks down. Our buses run one of the military bases and it can be quite a pain to navigate out there. I think it would be helpful too in making sure that drivers are staying on route and not being places where they shouldn't be.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ones that use their phones for navigation have them mounted.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

kevin1336

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  11:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking into a mounted or mountable type GPS for the driver. We are using 2-way radios, and they ping the tower every two minutes for a google type map to aid in locating downed vehicles and watching routes. Its not live but close.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000