New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  08:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2006 IC VT365: Bus died during route had it towed in. Died due to no fuel pressure, replaced the fuel pump and test drove it and had to return 5 minutes into the test drive. The bus had a bad fuel knock, a miss, and low power it smoked like a freight train (steady gray smoke).

After replacing a $1000 fuel pump, found 1 dead and 1 weak injector. So we replace all 8 injectors. Road tested and had to return 5 minutes into the test drive once again. Fuel is pouring into the exhaust (grey smoke) and into the oil pan. Checked the fuel pressure and the gauge pegged. Thinking the gauge is bad we tested fuel pressure on another bus exactly as this one, gauge turned out to be accurate.

So now we replace the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure is good now. Still fuel pours into the exhaust and into the oil pan. Now we remove the newly installed injectors and found one with a blown o ring, probably from the fuel pressure being so high. Re ringed all the injectors and the problem remains.

So much fuel is coming out from the exhaust that the muffler is pouring fuel from it.

Any thoughts??? Or prayers for me??? LOL

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 11/12/2015 09:30:54 AM

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  09:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I would check the rest of the injectors for blown o rings not just the new ones.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  09:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

I think I would check the rest of the injectors for blown o rings not just the new ones.

The old injectors o rings looked fine. Replaced all 8 injectors and an o ring blew out on one of the new injectors. Re ringed all the new injectors and the engine still blows fuel into the exhaust and oil pan.

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 11/12/2015 09:29:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  11:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does it run good, or is it missing any?

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  11:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It still has a miss and a fuel knock when it warms up. Along with low power.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  11:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most likely an injector stuck in the bore would be my guess it is dumping fuel into cylinder.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  11:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Injector would fail a leakdown test, when it is supposed to be closed it is still open and allowing fuel, even low pressure fuel flow will do this. Use temp gun to identify cylinder, it will most likely be hotter than others on cold startup.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was blowing fuel through the exhaust with the old injectors to. That's why we replaced them plus 1 was dead and the other was weak. But it's still blowing fuel out the pipe. I'll do another temp check and keep y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  08:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck. I'll pray! Fortunately I got rid of all my 365s a while back. I don't know how IC can show their face in any bus garage after this. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  07:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, when you checked the fuel pressure, were you checking the low side on the fuel filter housing? I wonder if you are experiencing a problem with the pressure regulator located at the top front of the filter housing, I've had issues with this causing a low psi to the galley that feeds the injectors, so wonder if it might cause a problem if it's too high,(over 50 psi)
earl
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  08:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked it at the top of the fuel filter, it's close to the pressure regulator. When I checked it the gauge pegged. Replaced the pressure regulator and it gauged at 50 psi just like it should, going by another bus just like it. I finally gave up on it and sent it to International, waiting for them to tell me the engine needs to be replaced.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  08:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Good luck. I'll pray! Fortunately I got rid of my 365 a while back. I don't know how IC and show their face in any bus garage after this. lol

Oh yeah thanks for the prayers Bryan lol...
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  07:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! How much do you spend on it before it's throwing good money after bad? We all like to solve problems with these things but there comes a time where we need to cut our losses. In the opinion of some around my place I jumped ship too soon on my 365s. Of course I beg to differ. These people don't know anything about it anyway, lol. Just pulling my chain I think.
If you need anyone to back you up, on getting rid of it, I'll bet just about anyone on here will help you out. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice! How much do you spend on it before it's throwing good money after bad? We all like to solve problems with these things but there comes a time where we need to cut our losses. In the opinion of some around my place I jumped ship too soon on my 365s. Of course I beg to differ. These people don't know anything about it anyway, lol. Just pulling my chain I think.
If you need anyone to back you up, on getting rid of it, I'll bet just about anyone on here will help you out. lol

I agree with you 100%, and besides we wouldn't be losing too much. The said bus was given to us by the US gov. during the hurricane Katrina refugee influx, we got 2 free buses out of that deal.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think id rather have one of those duece and a half trucks and painted it yellow

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You ain't kidding! Those things are literally bullet proof. I remember those when I served in the US Army.
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  05:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a very similar problem with one of ours, fuel dumping in the exhaust, we had a cracked head.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  05:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite truck in the Army!! You could fix anything on it.

As far as the 365's go, we tried to convince the board to junk all of our 06 and 07's. Not going to happen. We did replace all but 3 engines so far with the "bullet proof" rebuilds.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  10:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troy87

We had a very similar problem with one of ours, fuel dumping in the exhaust, we had a cracked head.

I'm thinking it's a cracked head to. Let's see what the experts at the dealer tell me.
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  04:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious, what did you find on this?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  06:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troy87

Curious, what did you find on this?

Checked on it yesterday, the dealer still hasn't worked it in the shop yet. I'll definitely keep y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally heard from the dealer, and as expected we have a cracked head. We'll be doing the work as soon as we get it towed back to the yard. They quoted me $11800.00 to replace both heads. I can get a new engine for that LOL.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  11:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! What's a used bus with about the same miles and an I6 worth? I think I'd rather spend the money toward something like that or a new one myself.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  11:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: engine is pretty much shot, found a few pieces from the valve train in the oil pan, a cracked push rod, worn rocker arms and valve bridges. Who knows what the cam looks like, we'll let the guy who remans the core find out LOL. Also see pic of the hole in the valve.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/head1.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/head2.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/head3.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  2:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update and thanks for taking the time to post pictures!! I wonder what get into these things and makes them wear like that? I know it's and age old question but it's crazy that this engine is a pain in the a--. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  03:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how true it is but a ford tech told us to up our oil change intervals on these and the 6.5's. We now change ours at 5000 miles or 1000 gallons of fuel, which ever comes first. Before I came to this system they were changing the oil twice a year. Now it is every other month.
Still cheaper then a new engine.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  04:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This engine is an 05 and has less than 100K miles, it's been in the shop more than its been on the road. Just a fun fact for you.
Go to Top of Page

steveolboy

8 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  04:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveolboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found it humurous that at the IC factory tour they had an experimental bus sitting there. The man showing us around commented it had the VT365 and that it was a piece of crap. Was going to be the plant shuttle, but just sits there cuz it would never run right. Cant be too god an engine if the factory dosent want to fix it.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  05:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steveolboy

I found it humurous that at the IC factory tour they had an experimental bus sitting there. The man showing us around commented it had the VT365 and that it was a piece of crap. Was going to be the plant shuttle, but just sits there cuz it would never run right. Cant be too god an engine if the factory dosent want to fix it.

I don't care who you are, that there's funny!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  05:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by steveolboy

I don't care who you are, that there's funny!

Yeah the ought to put that bus along with the guy who designed it in the HALL OF SHAME LOL!
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  12:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: wouldn't you know it!!!!!!!!!!!! The Jasper reman is doing the exact same thing. How can that be? Loud knock and fuel pouring out the exhaust and smoking like a freight train.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh dang!! What a pain! I feel for you!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  2:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: #3 and #7 no compression. How can this be!!!!!!!

Do you have any prayers left for me bwest LOL...
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  05:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!! Sometimes we just have to cut our losses and go on to the next soul. lol Translation: Put this one out to pasture.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  07:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a "pasture" is in the future, My IC bus dealer is advertising that they are looking for used 2004 or newer VT365 engines, running or not, in the bus or out.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  03:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of our 115 buses, 22 of them are VT365 of the 05-06 vintage. The AVERAGE mileage on them is 230,000 miles and most run daily. We need special prayer!!! They eat us out of house and home...both labor wise, cost wise, spare wise, bay wise...you name it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000