Bus Washing Soap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  12:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this subject has been beat to death in these forums. No, this is not a pitch to sell you bus washing soap. This is actually a plea for help.

I used to wash everything with a generic cold water power washer and Zep 4358. Fast forward to modern times, now we have a Hotsy hot water power washer and a Hotsy brand and the Zep 4358 powder, mixed in a small barrel. Now I know as we get older memory fades and we seem to recall the old days as better. Well that is how I recall the olden days using the cold water setup.

The new and improved looks like you just washed the bus with clear water when it dries. A dirt film still coating the bus. They look fantastic when wet !!

The Hotsy has hot water, a water softener( we were told our water has hard) and the soap is injected in under low pressure. Soap on low pressure and rinse with high pressure. (the old days was high pressure both ways)

So the question to all of you is: What are you using. Style of washer, brand of soap, how much do you use. Do you hand scrub each unit ??

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  12:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait, you wash your buses? Mother nature is our bus washer!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
same here mother nature washes ours also, the drivers that wash there bus use cold water and a liquid soap with a brush
Go to Top of Page

scoutmom2

17 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
washing buses? Only the commuter buses get washed weekly, not the school buses unless it rains.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  03:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use blue lightning vehicle wash and we shine the hoods on the Intertrashionals with an electric buffer and something like Nu-Finish.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  04:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use a Hydrotek hot water pressure washer with Zep O Shine and a brush every other week. Works good
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  06:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We wash our buses by hand on an unshaded crushed rock parking lot, with a garden hose, bucket of suds and long handled brush. Biggest improvement was when we stopped using the crazy hard school well water and got connected to the rural water system.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  06:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a Hotsy hot pressure washer. We use a truck soap/wax mix from a local supplier and spray the bus with the mix. We have an upright bus brush that we walk around the bus to scrub the 3 sides. Hand wash the front with a brush then rinse with hot pressurized water.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  08:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a Landa hot water pressure washer this summer. We use a soap from NAPA called Superior Dirtbuster Car Wash, costs about 10 bucks a gallon. We put that in a 5 gallon bucket and use a soft brush on a stick. I am experimenting with a rinse agent as we type today. I can let you know how that works. We only soap up about half of one side before we rinse.

I'm wondering if you are getting soap spots because you are running soap through your wand. I have one driver that I let run soap through the wand because he is very particular about his bus and how it looks. I know he is getting the soap mix out of the hose before he rinses.

Oh yeah, we just got a 37'x60' concrete pad to wash buses on! I think I died and went to heaven. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have a hot water washer, and buying what ever car wash is on sale...Plus The Eco-brush bfaulkner speaks of above, The power brush saves alot of hand washing and is quicker, they look decent when done...

I would think if your not hand scrubing or using a power brush on the bus it probably doesn't look clean when dry ... mine never did and always seem to leave a dirty film on them unless we used a brush.... I have never tried a pre-soak type soap, maybe that would work ok without hand or power brushing?

My buses paint oxidizes bad, most of mine fade out pretty fast... they are always parked outside, no cover from the sun and I don't have the spare time to wax them or no extra money to pay drivers to do it...Seems like they are alot harder to get dirt off when paint fades...

Factory paint looks more like an old lacquer paint rather than a acrylic enamel that manufactures says their painted with,,, Must be the cheap enamel paint they use,lol... I bought some cheaper acrylic enamel once from NAPA to paint a 1949 Farmall M it oxidized and faded within 2 years, even though it was kept in a barn all but a few weekends out of the year
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  8:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hotsy pressure washer does a good job when it works. ($10,000 system 3 years old and $4000 worth of repairs ,but that is another story)

Soap application with hot water @ 1500 psi/4gpm. Cold water rinse @ 1500psi/4gpm. We use a air actuated pump for the soap injection into the system. The town water pressure we regulate to 30 psi(float tank eliminated due to repeated valve failure)
Drivers wash their own buses. We wash the buses for inspections (outside and under the bus to get rid of mud and dirt in the frame and around brake assemblies)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000