Strange issue in a 2015 IC w/6.7 Cummins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  05:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We purchased 3 2015 IC buses with the cummins 6.7 engines close to a year ago.... The last couple weeks 1 of them is giving me issues with strong odor/exhaust smell(eyes watering) in drivers area, from 6 feet down asile to rear of bus can't smell odor...smell is only there when engine regens and High temp exhaust light is on at slow speed or stopped...goes away once up to speed and no odor when not in regen...

I have been over and under bus numerous times, found one clamp on turbo pipe slightly loose(tightened that) found hole plug in body behind stepwell heater missing(installed a plug and sealed that),then I went over bus with silicone sealant anywhere I thought it might have a body leak that outside air could get in... other than what I found so far, I can find no other leaks at manifold, turbo or exhaust system!

Planning on sending bus to dealer to give them a go at it, but wondered if anyone else had ever had similar issue? If so what you had found? or if anyone cares to speculate ...I am open to any ideas

It appears these engines don't use a Closed Crankcase vent system,(has breather tube hanging on left rear) wondered if smell could be coming from crankcase, possibe engine issue causing this one to stink worst than others?

Edited by - slippert on 11/04/2015 05:36:32 AM

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  05:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the exhaust coming out beyond the bumper?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  05:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Is the exhaust coming out beyond the bumper?

Yes it is! but these IC's use that venturi/air makeup pipe in rear.... which I have never cared for.... seems like you would have to be moving to keep all exhaust odor going out of pipe to me... but has never caused an issue like this before in my fleet..
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  06:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some '15 BB, not IC, with 6.7L, with same issue and found loose clamps at the turbo. Tightened/replaced clamps .. good. I have also noticed that when the exhaust temps. are high, there is a slight odor if you are not moving. I don't know if there is a way to stop it completely, (still working on that).
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  07:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...now this is what you might call "speculation"...

perhaps there are some rubber materials or body adhesives up in the front there that might be reacting or breaking down due to the high heat generated during a regen. maybe the glue used to attach the heat shield insulation. CYA and document everything on this one. years ago i had a driver blame the shop (another tech and i) because he missed a 90 degree left turn on the perimeter road and drove the bus up a berm.(no kids. adult air base transport and dead head back to the yard) he claimed he could smell exhaust coming up from the doghouse on a BB FE and passed out. dont remember the details of the investigation but we still had our jobs and he didnt. if this problem persists you might have to put it on a manual regen schedule just to avoid any potential issues in the future.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe try switching the "stinky" bus to another route and see if issue follows bus.......

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
U-joint grease on the DPF.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  4:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a driver complaining about this just today. This bus was also just worked on by Cummins and had the turbo replaced and the DPF was pretty plugged up so we had to do a parked regen on it. I didn't personally look at it, but guy that did said he did not find anything wrong.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  04:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thinking i will bring in and try doing a manual regen just to see what happens and what smells I get today or if it helps get rid of eye watering stench inside bus after that.... with these busses being first ones here running DEF fluid, odor outside when running or in mitst of regen does seem more pungent, to say the least... I find most of the 2007 and newer emmission buses do have a stronger odor outside when exhaust is hot in process of regen and if odors stay outside passenger compartment really nothing that can be done for it...

Just not good when it seems to fill driver/passenger area.... these buses are not an air tight vessel, but normally can keep exhaust smells mostly outside as long as exhast system is tight and large holes are plugged in body
Go to Top of Page

1forTBB

8 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1forTBB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This does not appear to be an uncommon issue. Our Transit property has had on going similar issues. Heres a link to thier story. Sorry I'm not aware of the solution.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2223210/translink-drivers-complain-of-toxic-fumes-on-community-shuttles/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000