Blue Bird's baseboard heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

04IC#14

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  09:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The district I drive for got two new BB vision propanes last spring and I got one of them. This fall as the temps start to go down I've been using the heat more, but it doesn't seem like it's enough. The coldest so far has been 30F and the baseboard heater kept the bus warm but that was about it. I live in MN and it regularly get down in the -30's and -40's below in the winter. I have the main valve all the way open, the slide temp adjuster switch all the way to the top and the boost pump running. My supervisor and I checked the water temps in the baseboards this morning with a temp gun and found the warmest temp was 120 lowest was 106. That's after driving my morning route and not shutting it off when I got in. The mechanic and I check the valves by the engine and they're all on, the defroster blows very hot air but the baseboards never seem to get very hot. Any ideas????

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  09:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you don`t have any slightly kinked hoses. No experience with newer BBs but have found several on ICs.
Go to Top of Page

04IC#14

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll take a look at the hoses. Do you know if it's supposed to be engine temp water going through them or is the water going to the baseboards tempered somehow?

Brandon

Edited by - 04IC#14 on 10/08/2015 11:23:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  11:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 2013 Vision and it seems to do OK on heat for the rear. The driver says it is not the best though.
Normally the boost pump is to help get the warm water back to the rear heaters just during warm up of the system. I'm not sure but the boost pump could be restricting the flow of coolant after it gets warmed up. Try it with boost pump off once after it is warm and see if that helps.
Also try to change pass/defrost knob at different settings to see if that might help.
We are in NE Iowa so have somewhat the same weather.
ED
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  12:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention ours is also a Propane bus.
Go to Top of Page

04IC#14

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  2:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks.. I'll give it a try in the morning!

Brandon

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  05:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also make sure the boost pump is wired correctly and pumping in the right direction.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

04IC#14

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BB salesman happened to stop by the bus garage yesterday afternoon. He took a look and said the boost pump was plumbed backwards. Said to not use the pump and see what happens, I tried that but didn't notice much difference. Does anyone have a diagram of the plumbing on that bus??

Brandon

Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  10:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the pump is still gonna be slightly restrictive while not running. since the salesman is there telling you the pump is backwards, hand him a couple tools and tell his to get on it.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000