Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 08 maxforce DT "making Oil"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  05:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we got an 08 DT with oil dilution. no codes. can anyone point me in the right direction. checked all updates all current no updates needed.

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  07:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What was in the oil coolant or diesel ?
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
diesel
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  10:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may be talking out of my @ss here, but it sounds like it may be overdosing on fuel to help with the DPF. Hows your DPF? What about the rest of the emissions system components? I haven't ran into it personally, but I know of one district that had buses raising the oil level by an inch or more in 2000 miles.
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do a search on this forum. There are threads that go into great detail.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  03:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is/was a topic that feels like beating a dead horse..... yes there are many threads about this on here.....!

Can't say for sure why yours is making oil, but the 2008 buses here with DT engine all made oil(fuel dilution) many times and many trips to IH, until the DOC was replaced on each one...

IH dealer told me the original DOC's on my buses had a problem with the material inside degrading to quickly and causing bus/engine to think it needed regening constantly. Plus by material in DOC degrading it wouldn't make enough heat to properly clean out,so kept getting more and more plugged, in turn exhaust didn't have enough/proper flow, so diesel being injected in cylinder for regen would not go out exhaust and ran down cylinder walls thru rings into crankcase...

Mine have been running fantastic the last couple years with NO noticable fuel dilution after DOC's were replaced..... fortunatly mine were covered either in warranty or policyed by dealer because of the years it seemed to take to get to bottom of problem...

Edited by - slippert on 09/24/2015 07:12:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  04:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
weve had doc and dpf cleaned and baked at dealer. replaced egr coolers one injector and pucks. we have around 200 buses in our fleet.we have 2 right now tht are "making oil" ive looked in Navistar and found nothing on DT's only on the maxforce7. were going to replace injector and oil rail and seals. ill update. if anyone has any other ideas please chim in. like slippert and the other brothers said its an on going problem. my goal is to figure out a way to diag these and repair in a timely manner. im sure ill see more of these. thank you brothers! ill let yall know what happens
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  06:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was not the cleaning/baking of DOC and DPF that worked on my buses that was tried here too.... IH ended up putting a brand new DOC on all of my buses in the end... because they said the material used inside(be it gold, platinum or what?)to make the original DOC's degraded too fast and failed to work as it was suppose to.... this was after dealer run numerous tests had replaced many parts including Injectors, EGR valves,seals, fuel pumps ,sensors, coolers, recal of ECM's,.... thousands of dollars in parts and labor as per IC warranty prcedures ....

Stupid part to me was after the first unit was fixed and running good ...IH still made dealer jump thru all the same hoops and replace same parts on all units before having dealer replace DOC on the rest of mine...

Edited by - slippert on 09/24/2015 07:11:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  06:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mhernandez73

we have 2 right now tht are "making oil" ive looked in Navistar and found nothing on DT's only on the maxforce7.

The DT's had problem too..

The original answer I got from IC was the dipstick is not an accurate measuring device and therfore how do you know it is 3 inches over full ... also if memory serves me it had to show over 10 percent fuel in oil sample or IH/IC hsaid it was normal and ok,,,,won't hurt a thing according to them,lol

Like I stated above ever since DOC's got replaced with new ones my busses have had lots of miles run with no making oil issues...!!

How many miles are on your busses? When mine started having issues with oil dilution they had somewhere between 60,000 and 100,000 on them..... All have around 200,000 plus on them with no making oil issues since

Edited by - slippert on 09/24/2015 07:10:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  08:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by slippert

The original answer I got from IC was the dipstick is not an accurate measuring device and therfore how do you know it is 3 inches over full ... also if memory serves me it had to show over 10 percent fuel in oil sample or IH/IC hsaid it was normal and ok,,,,won't hurt a thing according to them,lol
[quote]

If you blow an engine under warranty from being low on oil, I wonder if you can say "Well you said the dipstick is not an accurate measuring device and therefore how do you know it is xx quarts low?"
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  09:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remove engine, replace with a cummins. problems solved.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  11:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

remove engine, replace with a cummins. problems solved.

Cummins dealers can do the repower on MaxxForce 7 equipped 07-09 buses.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  04:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Thomasbus24

If you blow an engine under warranty from being low on oil, I wonder if you can say "Well you said the dipstick is not an accurate measuring device and therefore how do you know it is xx quarts low?"

[/quite] That is stuck in my memory!!....and if I ever need to or am in that situation...I will ask them that exact thing.… I am certain it won't be as good of a reason for us as it was for them... Lol
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  04:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
update: still making oil :(
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  06:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite from IH is that up to 10% fuel in oil is normal. These POS engines are my biggest design flaw daily nuisance. I have 10 of these and at anyone time several are building oil. But low and behold IH put downstream doser on 2010 emissions DT and no more problem!!! That's what I told them the whole time they were trying to work on the issue! Very frustrating!!!
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  04:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The International engines were notorious for making oil....The Injectors leak, causing the fuel to drain into the oilpan. We replaced many, many injectors because of same thing. Replace all injectors and problem solved.

Edited by - Troy87 on 11/04/2015 04:42:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000