New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  2:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody have a modern flat floor bus? I'm spec'ing out my first handicap bus and all I have to reference are a 95, 96 and 97 Thomas Vistas (6 row, spring ride) which should NEVER be compared to anything.

This would be air ride, conventional (78 shell), rear lift.

I'm trying to strike a balance between future expandability for multiple chairs and a bus that won't beat the driver and kids to death. I'm also worried about handling with the low pros on it. This bus will run 30-40k miles annually, so I need it to be right.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  04:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was always told to avoid the lo-pro tires. I've never had any problems with a standard 78-passenger size bus with air ride, rear lift and track seating behind the standard wheels (regular size seats where allowed; no half seats.)
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  04:24:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have spec,ed this bus for the last 12 years. We have six three butt seats up front three on each side and six two butt seats down the rt. side a lift in the rear and four wheel chair positions along the lt. wall. The small tires drive a bit wonky for my tastes but the special needs drivers don't complain. The lift in the rear keeps the noise up front down and the air ride makes a very smooth ride. The small seats next to the wheel chairs helps keep the students from being isolated and lets the nurses sit closer to their charges. Also we have dual a/c on all of our special needs units we use dash plus one evap for the front and one evap for the rear. on most of our units I have a steel box that holds a pair of large totes that hold spare wheelchair tie downs and vests and other stuff for restraints. In the top box we put baby wipes toys and books for the students. Along with whatever supplies are needed for the medical conditions of the students.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  10:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We swear by flat floor. It is easier to clean the tracks out and more versatile in your set up. I can snap some Pics of a flat floor IC if your would like. As for the Lo-Pro we have bad no complaints, They handle just like the 22's.

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No flat floor here. I like only stocking one size tires.
Rear lift full of seats. Track behind rear duals.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys.

I HATE to have another tire size...still working on getting everything to 11R22.5 slowly since it looks like they used to buy whatever el cheapo tires they could find that day.

I've got a demo of a flat floor CE and C2 set up soon.

I hope I never see more than 2 wheelchairs on a route but my world is imperfect.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  2:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

We swear by flat floor. It is easier to clean the tracks out and more versatile in your set up. I can snap some Pics of a flat floor IC if your would like. As for the Lo-Pro we have bad no complaints, They handle just like the 22's.

I'd like to see your configuration if it isn't too much hassle.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  09:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://imgur.com/a/0yn2m

I included multiple angles from a 12 IC, 09 Vison, and 05 IC. If you need pics of anything else feel free to ask.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000