Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DEF filter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  06:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How difficult is it to change the DEF filter in the tank? I have two 2013 BB All Americans that need to be changed and I wondered how bad it was. I know tank has to come down but does anything else have to come off before dropping it?
Also I found on the Cummins website once that there is a strainer or filter near the top of the tank on the outside. Anybody cleaned this one, or replaced?
Thanks in advance.
ED

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  10:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a filter in the supply module, no need to drop the tank. It's right in the bottom of the module..its that round cover. You'll have some DEF run out, but only what's inside the filter housing.

Unless they've changed things, there no need to replace the sock filter in the tank unless it's clogged or if you're right there anyways.

Dropping the tank isn't terrible. I use the transmission jack but I suppose a plain floor jack would be fine if you pulled the drain plug first. Remember there are antifreeze hoses you'll have to monkey with. Ours have enough extra to let us drop the tank down to the point we can reach everything to unhook it.

Make sure you buy some of the plastic clips that retain the lines to the tank fittings to have on hand. They do break sometimes and there nothing like being stuck waiting on a .75¢ clip.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took the round one out on the supply module but is that one from BB or Cummins? I asked Cummins about it the other day and they said it was the bus builders unit. I told our dealer I wanted a DEF filter and they sent me the one in the tank. Our salesman said they want those in the tanked changed every year now. I'm confused on which way to go.
This bus did have a DEF light come on this winter on a long trip but we got it back to the shop and added DEF and it has worked OK since. Gauge did not read below 10% at the time of problem.
ED
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  3:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It comes in a Cummins box from my blue bird dealer. I'll get you the part number tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

I was told in class about them that Cummins makes the entire thing and the body company just installed it. Anybody care to chime in?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not heard of having to change one in the tank. We only change the one in the module. I just took a Cummins class a couple months ago, and they did not say anything about changing one in the tank, only in the module.

The Cummins number for that filter is 5303604. At least that's what it is for the Vision's. I can't imagine it would be different for the All American's, but stranger things have happened.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  09:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the same number my AAFE (A3 and T3) use and the IC's show it being the same as well.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my $.02
set up a cummins quickserve login and look everything up by engine serial number. even if you have a big fleet you can look up all your sister buses with 1 engine sn if you dont want to pay for having more than a few engine sn's. eg. one sn for all your same year isb's isc's isl's etc.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our Blue Bird dealer says on the ISB 10 the filter in the tank is Non Serviceable (the engine in my bus). The ISB 13 are serviceable though.
They also say to change the round filter by the supply module yearly (not the one in the tank,SORRY). They want $77 for a replacement filter for round one.
Just called Cummins and price is $61.
Thanks for the info everyone.
ED
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000