RIP IC AE & BE Buses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  08:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the phase out of the MaxxForce 7 V8 I thought that perhaps the V8 Cummins would find its way into the AE & BE buses. But it appears instead that they are dropping the AE & BE buses as they have disappeared from the IC Bus website and only the CE and RE products remain.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggest that maybe they are getting ready to drop the entire bus line. What do you think? Here's a story that leads me to think that Navistar is having trouble. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/navistar-nav-crumbles-stock-falls-123712518.html

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  10:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you know, Fastback, I like talking about these companies. I also found this story that leads me to think that they may be going in a different direction than school buses. I did not realize that they had gone from a truck market share of 36% down to 26% in just a few years. They are also moving executives around, that is never a good sign. Interesting stuff.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/billvisnic/2015/06/30/general-motors-believed-ready-to-announce-commercial-truck-venture-with-navistar/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  6:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its true!

http://schoolbusweb.proboards.com/post/18216

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  08:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICBUS07-30

I think its true!

http://schoolbusweb.proboards.com/post/18216

My post exactly! Haha!! I thought I might as well post that directly on here as well. With having access to International's OnCommand Service Information portal, I've known about this for awhile now, when they first posted about it in the IC Dealer Extranet (IC Letters). With this I access, I get to see potential feature and option changes available on all models directly from IC Bus, along with International and pretty much anything Navistar-based. Here's what they had to say, it was posted on October 27th, 2014:

"SUBJECT: Immediate Discontinuation of IC Bus AE and BE Series Models
To: All US & CAN Based IC Bus Dealers.
Effective immediately, all IC Bus AE and BE Series Models are discontinued.
• AE Series: School and Commercial Derivative Bus
• BE Series: School and Commercial Derivative Bus
All firm orders currently in the system or under SQ process will be honored and delivered as
per production schedule. Please contact your RSM for further information."

I'm not sure why they didn't give an explanation but I wish they did, it'd be interesting to see why they discontinued both of these models directly from the manufacturer. Personally, I wish they'd keep both models. But, change is inevitable, and personally, I don't like change.

International all the way!
Jesus is the answer... 'Nuff said! Formerly 96AmTranRE.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  08:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i see a lot of people on this forum are fans of the IC buses and for the life of me i dont understand why. are IC buses the majority of your fleets and its all you know? i cant imagine theyre your favorite because you love fixing them over and over again. now im sure ive upset someone but before you get too ahead of yourselves just let me point out what all these articles show; a steady fall in IC market share. it may be a surprise to some but not to me as ive seen the overwhelming majority of posts on this tech forum involving engine issues are international engine problems and their lack of dealer support, warranty claims, etc. their engines lost the race to meet emissions standards and cummins won. thats about it.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  04:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not an IC fan either and it's not just the engine issues. When you have a $90K bus that the windows won't close and the glass falls out and the IC, Rush truck sales rep says IC fix is to cut the seal at the top of the window, I find that unacceptable. Screws fall out of the ceiling daily. The dash is constantly loose. The roof leaks. The paint fades within 2 years. The seat covers crack and the foam falls apart at the top.

I have experienced these problems for the last 10 years in two different school systems and here the same complaints from my fellow technicians from across the state of Georgia at our annual technician workshop.

IC builds a cheap bus, you get what you pay for.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only been around and workin on school buses ic bluebird Thomas etc for about 7 years and in my opinion coming from the automotive field all of this buses are made poorly they all have problems windows sag engine problems basically poor design or manufacturing problems as I spoke with a Thomas salesman recently and I agree its bascically who will give u better service or warrenty support and that's sad . our fleet has a little bit of every brand and they all have problems that a 90k bus or any vehicle shouldn't have
Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would never own an IC. Their paint jobs suck. 2 years out in the sun and they are all faded to hell, but take a Thomas after 2 years and the paint is still nice and shinny.
Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  4:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if IC got out of the bus business.
Go to Top of Page

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  04:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

i see a lot of people on this forum are fans of the IC buses and for the life of me i dont understand why.

What is your favorite and why? Just curious
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  05:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC is total junk! So far I'm digging the BB we got in last school year, so far not one issue with any of the 6. When we got new IC in the past first week on route you get engine light on, oil dilution and countless of other problems. Just my 2 cents lol...
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  07:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ familyman

i guess i dont exactly have a favorite bus myself. i took over a small fleet that was a mix of thomas, BB, gilligs and a couple internationals. in the last few years we purchased thomas and im happy with it. the point i was making was more engine related. previous to this i worked as a tech on transit buses. gillig, new flyer, van hool, mci. it would be more accurate to say i have a favorite engine and that would be a cummins.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000