Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DEF storage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  1:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are getting the first bus that requires DEF, what are you guys with small fleets using for DEF dispensers? Was thinking about buying it in 55 gal barrels and using a hand pump for now. Where do I go looking for a DEF compatible hand pump? Or should I just get an electric pump? Opinions?

Mike

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  3:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 DEF trucks, and for now I am just buying the 2.5 gallon jugs as I need them. I'm told that the DEF will go "bad" if left too long, left too hot, or left too cold, so I'd rather have 2.5 gallons go bad that 55 gallons.

:)
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  3:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if youve only got the one unit you might not want to spend the money on a drum, dolly, pump system... unless you put a lot of miles on it. as far as a hand pump goes the cheap all plastic one is the way to go. they are cheap mind you at about 10 bucks or so. i had to replace it twice through 3 55 gal drums until i ponied up the cash for the dolly and electric pump setup. i use it up quick with 5 units, and keep it inside and out of the sun. all is well.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  05:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have three buses that use it and I still just buy the 2 1/2 gallon jugs. You will use about 2 1/2 gallons of DEF for every 100 gallons of diesel fuel, in our case its no more than one jug per week per bus.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  06:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's always been easier for us to get the 55 gal drum with the hand pump. Every time a bus is in the garage for a PM, I pump it full, no matter how far down it is. I get criticized all the time, "It's not even down one bar on the gauge and your filling it up!" I just figure 10 pumps one day here and there is easier than 40 or 50 to bring it up from almost empty. And we have never had any DEF go bad from sitting around.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  07:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ baptist. agreed. and i dont totally trust the level indicator on the dash. ive had on a few occasions seen the gauge read full and physically had an empty tank. and visa versa. (float stuck in the tank) the ecm trusts the sending unit in the tank by the way over the output conditions of the scr. ie, check engine/derate if the sending unit reads empty but actually full, and no check engine/derate when physically empty, gauge reading full, and no catalytic reaction occurring. they also say that the engine will not use all of the fluid in the tank between 45d/3k inspections, but i have found this is not always the case depending on route conditions and driver habits.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  08:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We currently have 2 DEF busses and we buy it in 55 gal. barrels. It is stored under cover but outside. We go from the upper 20's in winter to over 100 in summer and we have never had an issue with it going bad. I think we probably go through around a barrel a year. It seems to work for us.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI -For you guys. DEF does not go "bad". If left in direct sunlight or extremely high temperatures for long enough(over a year) it will degrade slightly, causing your bus or truck to use a little more of it to get the proper reduction in emissions.

The price difference between a 2.5 gallon jug and a 55 gallon drum is large enough where you should be buying it in 55 gallon drums if you have more than one bus using DEF.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  9:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a link to Cummins concerning DEF. we have a 250 gallon container and electric pump set up. We have 9 buses that use DEF and have had no issues with it at all. We started with 2.5 gallon jugs, then to 55 gallon drums (never found a decent pump that did not leak DEF) then progressed to the 250 gallon container as we got more buses. We also top off the tanks every time the buses come in to the garage or when the drivers notice the tanks are about 50%. A electric pump with a long hose is a plus. Our tank is in the shop next to a door so we can run the hose outside and fill the buses. Congrats on your new DEF bus and there is nothing to be worried about. Common sense and you'll be fine.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  9:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to attach the link to Cummins info on DEF. hope this helps.. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  07:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replys everyone. I decided to go with 55 gal barrels. Does anybody have a specific brand of electric pump they use?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  07:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200433576_200433576

i bought this one.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  10:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a pain. I'm glad I don't own any. Good luck with it though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  04:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 45 buses with the DEF system. 330 gallon tank with electric pump. Cummins told us, as long as the DEF is kept in a controlled temperature environment, i.e.: inside not out, the DEF will stay good up to 12 months. Haven't had a problem so far. We also top off all tanks everytime we bring them into the shop for anything.
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  06:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found a place local to me that manufactures DEF and sells dispensing equipment, going to go check it out today, see what all they have.

http://www.usadefllc.com/
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  07:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have added with my earlier post, that my two trucks only have 3.5-5 gallon DEF tanks on them.

Good to know that others have not had a DEF going bad issue. :)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  2:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 8 buses using it and 2-4 more coming in a few months, I just switched to the 330 gallon tote from 55 drums. I'm projecting using around 300 gallons next year and it was nearly $0.50/gallon cheaper that way. I just had to buy a different adapter to connect my pump to it.

I buy from Napa, the blue DEF brand, its a closed system to help avoid contamination. Just watch for sales, buy then, and its smooth sailing. Honestly, a lot better than I first thought it would be when it first came about.

You might find BWC grant money for an electric pump if you play your cards right. I got mine that way since it eliminates carrying containers and lessens skin/chemical contact.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000