Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 use jerry can as a gas tank?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joseph_W

3 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  9:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joseph_W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi - i have a bus that has diesel sludge on the bottom of the gas tank that is clogging filters fast. someone has advised that i can re-route the fuel line into a jerry can in order to move the bus to where i can work on it.
then i have to work on removing the fuel tank so i can take it to a steam cleaner to get the diesel sludge removed from the bottom of the tank. i wonder if this is safe to put a jerry can as a fuel tank and is there anything i should do?

what would i put on the opening of the jerry can to make a seal around the fuel hose?
thanks if anyone has any ideas about this.

Edited by - Joseph_W on 05/23/2015 9:27:16 PM

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  9:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would not have a problem using a jerry can for a temporary fuel source as long as there are no passengers on the bus. If you have a bus with a fuel return to the tank you may go through a lot of fuel to get the bus back. You would be pulling fuel from the jerry can and returning fuel to the contaminated fuel tank.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  08:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tow it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  7:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't mention where you are from, but unless its always sunny and 90 degrees, or this bus is new, you can forget the fuel tank being reusable. They rust. They rust BADLY. Once you disturb it, its done.
Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  08:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've don it quite a few times, from impossible to bleed out to jelled fuel, damaged lines, etc, just without anybody else around.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must have newer buses then we do here. Or maybe other manufacturers do it better than ours. When we pull a strap loose, metal/rust comes with it and leaks ensue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000