2389 code IC bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  9:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 buses equipped with the DT 466 with EGR . Almost everyday the drivers for both buses come in and tell me about this light . It's center on the gauges , orange and it shows a tailpipe with and exclamation point on it . So today I hooked up my laptop and service maxx pro and said I had a 2389 code . Said EGR was plugged up . Now I have 2 questions one would a open EGR cause this light to come on . Does service maxx pro work on 2008 models . Hope someone can tell me if I am on the right track .Thanks

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  04:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It may be a biased sensor, but if it's happening on 2 buses, I would think you probably have an issue. Looking at stuff on OnCommand (ISIS), it says to make sure you first don't have any other codes coming up, and if not, then you'll probably have to pull the EGR and actually check. And ServiceMaxx should work fine on a 2008 model. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  06:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if its a maxxforce dt check both left and right egr coolers left side clogged for sure check right side. if plugged check your local radiator shop to clean out. hope this helps. goodluck
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  07:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You didn't say year or miles?...but if it is a newer bus with low miles, I have had a few that needed programing updated at dealer, to stop random codes with no other engine symtoms/issues....

If bus has fair amount of miles on it.... All the parts in the EGR/turbo/intake seem to soot up quickly... (go figure when your recirulating diesel exhaust back thru engine,lol...)
Adding to what is posted above this is also from ISIS, That code can be caused by
1)Restricted air flow intake or exhaust
2)Restricted EGR cooler
3)Biased EGR valve position sensor
4)Biased EBP sensor or circuit
5)Biased MAP sensor or circuit
6)EGR valve stuck or sticking
or as alot of us have seen a combo of some of the above... plugged up...
Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On mine with egr maxxforce engines i pull the intake side egr coolers and clean them most of the time the exhaust side is ok, but when they went 4 years without no cleaning i had to send them to a rad shop to have them cooked out, now if i do it every year it takes 20 minutes with the pressure washer, that is if the drain valve is in the charge air cooler, it help create a drier carbon effect in the egr cooler. now keeping them clean i nolonger get a possible egr plugged code. or worse a complete derate because the engine cannot breath while asking for egr flow.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are 2008 with a little over 70,000 miles on them
Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  5:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if the egr coolers have never been off, time to do so and pressure check them for leaks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000