Breaking News
 Enter Forum: Breaking News
 Watch: Driver speeds past school bus, nearly hits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clipper86

9 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  04:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clipper86's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Driver-speeds-past-Graham-school-bus-nearly-hits-3-kids-301492711.html?tab=video&c=y

A heart-stopping video!

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  06:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For years, Ohio has required that drivers signal kids when it's safe to cross the street. Due to the rise of incidents like the one shown above, the state has re-written their laws in the last 7 or 8 years to include a signal on the right side pick-ups as well. Had this driver done that (and I realize it's not an Ohio bus), it would have given him time to check his mirrors and he could have seen this (possibly) before the kids got too close to the danger zone.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

MurphyLangs

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  7:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit MurphyLangs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just awful. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Fleet fuel card with superior spend-control features: www.global-fleet.com
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  02:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, this must be a warning and drivers should take the necessary precautions especially when passing by a school zone area. Authorities must also be aware of it because accidents happen when we are not really careful.
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  09:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is horrible. In IL, cars are not allowed to pass a school bus if the STOP signal is out. This should not be happening. Parents should have peace of mind when they let their kids take the school bus.
Go to Top of Page

Dianne Briony

9 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  01:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Brook. Exactly! school authorities should find ways to prevent this kind of scenario again. Parents must be aware about it too:)

Dianne Briony
Go to Top of Page

Caroyln Condon

6 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2015 :  6:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Caroyln Condon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree Dianne. I am a broker and I speak to a lot of people every day and mostly parents. As parents, we can imagine how many of us entrust our kids to bus drivers. We should be given peace of mind. For example in my work, people trust me to follow my advice on how they should invest their money, but it took me a really long time to earn their trust. Meanwhile, most of us have not even met bus drivers. :( My point is or my question is, should we, as parents be more involved in how laws are made for school buses or how our kids are brought to and from the school? How do we get involved? What should we be doing?
Go to Top of Page

scoutmom2

17 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  05:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the issue is enforcing the laws already on the books. For example, for one of the districts my company has, we have had HUGE problems with people running the stop arms at several schools. Writing up the offenders and turning them in has not stopped the problems. Occasionally, the police send out an officer, but they usually catch someone within 30 seconds of the stop arms being out for dismissal. So while the officer is busy with the first offender, many more are going by. Since, where I am at, usually the first two offenses are equivalent to a slap on the wrist, people don't take it seriously. Many drivers are hoping for stop arms cameras to help catch offenders, but it is a complicated legal issue getting all the towns to approve it.
Go to Top of Page

Bus John

8 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  08:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is horrible but happens every day. There should be stricter legislation in place if someone fails to yield/stop for STOP signal. Make it just like a school zone ticket.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000