Webasco Heater Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  06:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posting this for a friend of mine, he has a 2005 Freightliner bus he bought used and it has diesel fired heater attached to the side of the bus. There is no timer inside the bus or switch to turn the unit on. Their is a switch on the dash not marked but it does not do anything that can be heard. Any resources or tips you can tell me to lead him in the right direction to get the unit working?

Thanks

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  08:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whats the model of the webasto? ive got a bunch of books from working on the city transit buses. there should be a switch somewhere likely marked auxiliary heater. i dont imagine they would tie that circuit to the booster pump switch but...? also if i remember right, the webasto itself has fuses inside its enclosure, along with a short harness and sensors etc.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  12:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our 2005 Freightliners came with TSL17 (17000 btu) Webasto heaters mounted on the frame under the driver. We had no luck with them at all and wrote them off as a lost cause.
Our 2006 Freightliners came with the 2010 Webasto Schoolatic (45000 btu) heater mounted in a compartment ahead of the battery box (looked like the bus had two battery boxes) This was a much better heater and we still order the new buses with the same heater.
If it is the 2010 heater ( ID by the yellow heat exchanger) the biggest faults are the coolant pump, overheat fuse(white wires on top. opposite end from the burner end should have continuity) and the fuse (7.5 amp in the pack behind the burner end) Lots of other little things, but this will give you a good start
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  06:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look inside the inspection panel on the outside above the battery box for a timer. Also maybe a switch inside for one that says "aux heat" They should have a switch as well as a timer.

Check the connection by the battery, there should be a 30a fuse on the positive side that powers the heater. We always take the fuses out during warm months to keep drivers from leaving the switch on when they don't even need to be using them.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  05:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it is the TSL17, and it has some sort of issue, it may be locked out right now. There is a cover on the end of a harness right near the heater that houses the fuses. By pulling the larger fuse (30 amp?) and leaving it out for 10 seconds, then reinserting, should reset the fault and allow it to attempt to start. Like CalMC said, we have had problems with our Freightliner factory installed Webastos. The biggest problems that we have seen are coolant pumps that either seize, or circulate very poorly, or the glow pins go out. Also, the fuel lines on these units have a tendency to break. All these problems will cause the heater to lock out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000