New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  05:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 2010 vision when its cold and first started in the am thrans fluid leaks from the pressure vavle on top of trans or relief valve once it warmsup it stops but nmot completely still drips a little any ideas i dont have gauges to check pressures in trans maybe something is clogged in trans or is it possible that valve is stuck open or bad?????

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  07:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think your valve is the problem . I would take it out and clean it real good . try not screwing the stick into the tube so tight . Does it screw down type ?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  08:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was gonna take the valva out and clean it but i cant tell how or if it comes out there is a cap on top that s
just spins i dont see a spot for a wrench the stick pushs on then u flip over the tap to lock it
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  09:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the little "cap on top that just spins" that youre talking about is just the breather for the trans. its supposed to do that though you shouldnt have trans fluid leaking from there unless its been overfilled or you have some other internal trans issue.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  10:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i do believe its the breather when its cold at first start up ut pushes about half quART OUT i have had it running outside for bout an hour and its not pushing any out now gonna see what tomarrow morning the stick still shows its full so maybe it was over filled but will see tomarrow what else would make the fluid pump out the breather when its cold only
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  05:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the trans fluid to come out the breather only on cold start up it pushes a quart or so out once its warm its ok the leave was fine when i started it
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Allison has a TSI paper about this, if I can find it laying around, I may be able to post a link .... I will look for it... I know it was a tsi back in 06-07, but may help you...?

Basically Allison says to check your dipstick tube for proper venting, and if for some reason a 2012 was built with a non vented dipstick tube or dipstick vent hole is plugged or blocked off ,,What you are describing could happen on cold startup... first thing to ck is tube for proper venting, if that doesn't fix, then trans could have internal issues

My older busses with rubber locking dipsticks had an (approx)3/32 or less inch hole close to top of tube for vent,,, newer twist lock I am not sure where they vent thru ? I am looking at a tube for a 2009 IC an can't find a hole anywhere in it... but paper says you can add one if needed..

Edited by - slippert on 02/24/2015 08:45:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  07:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so if i take out dipstick on cold start up and it does not leak then its probably a venting problem?
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  08:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

so if i take out dipstick on cold start up and it does not leak then its probably a venting problem?

Yes sir!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  04:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this morning i left the dipstick out and started bus let it run for a while and the leaks is much better but still left a dime size puddle where as before it was at least 4 in diameter
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  04:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just a thought but maybe try it with dipstick pulled for a couple more days, see if quits? I am not sure if vent passage could hold residual oil and it might be just cleaning itself out today? sounds like it leaked a little less than before..

I am still looking for my TSI papers....

Edited by - slippert on 02/25/2015 04:34:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  04:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok sounds like a plan will run it a couple days and see what happens thanks
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  04:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

ok sounds like a plan will run it a couple days and see what happens thanks

I found TSI my on computer, for some reason I can't seem to attach to forum?? (probably my lack of computer skills,lol) send your email addy to mine listed on my profile ... I know I can forward them to you that way if you would like to have it.. or if you have a good Allison dealer , I am sure they can set you up with info on tube venting issues..
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the tsi letter it help greatly I am gonna start bus up in am with dipstick out to sea if it leaks if it doesn't I will drill hole in dipstick
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i started bus this morning with dipstick out and it did not leak at all so i am assuming that the vent hole is the problem i took dipstick tube out and its one piece the TSI letter shows it as two pieces and to drill hole where the two pieces met so not sure where to put hole does it matter other then when u service trans and add fluid it will come out the hole i drill
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  04:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The diagram should be a one piece tube just has a break in picture for clarity... shows drilling hole at bottom approx 1"1/4 below rubber seal(so would be inside of trans housing) where tube installs in trans.... and one at other end of tube where diipstick plugs in... just follow directions and you should be good..
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  04:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got drilled the holes and started up this morning and no leaks thanks but now its giving me another problem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000