Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DT 466 cam sensor replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2015 :  11:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a DT466 with egr that needs a new cam sensor. Do I need to get an air gap tool to do the job ? can I just install the sensor without checking air gap ? On older Dt's I just installed the sensor . When I pulled the old one I couldn't find a shim

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  07:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
anybody know ?
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  08:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I check the air gap each time.
I seldom ever need to shim though.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a special tool with a dial indicator that takes the place of the cam sensor. bolt it in, crank the engine and itll tell you how much you need to shim it.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  1:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had to shim one either- til last week.

The truck (with a 466E) threw a Cam Sensor Code, and when I pulled it out, the end was cracked and you could see where it has been rubbing against the gear. This one was installed by the dealer last fall when they replaced the front cover. Apparently, they didn't check for needed shims either...
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  8:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I am trying to find out . What is used to decide on the shim and where did you get it ? If I have to buy one I need some help on the info I can use . Do I need this tool . Thanks
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  06:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://schoolbusmechanic.blogspot.com/2007/11/internatonal-school-bus-dt-466e-cam.html

this guy seems to know whats goin on. in there is a good pic of the tool kit youll need.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  11:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I am back for some more help .I pulled the cam sensor that I put in .I installed a new one last year.Bus would never start.So I ordered a new one by vin .I checked the depth of the hole .I then measured the sensor .Should there be a 1/4 inch between the gear and the sensor ?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
negative. just like any magnetic pickup type sensor it should be very close but not touching. im not looking at the manual but this guy says its supposed to be between .025 and .030 inches. if the gap is too big you'll have starting/performance issues. if there is no gap the cam gear will chew up your new sensor and still not start, and may introduce cam sensor debris into your motor.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What am i looking for on the gear ? A raised area,or knub
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2015 :  09:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How are coming with this

Edited by - valleybusman on 02/21/2015 9:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my shims came in the box with the new sensor.

The old sensor was just barely rubbing, So I added 2 shims- because as was said- you don't want it hitting. So far so good. It came with instructions on how to check the gap, and like a real man, I threw them away... lol

I would say 1/4 of an inch is way to big. if that is what you have, I would say you have something else going on- or the wrong part.
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  8:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I went in to pick up the sensor they gave me one with shims and a metal bracket .When I got back to the school it didn't match mine . Went back and when using my vin he found there was 2nd part to sensor . Found out the one my engine take is the same as a crank sensor . Was told they make no shims . I also did some checking and if I am right I have no power to the CMP .I checked with the key on and using my Fluke meter nothing . So where do I start.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  07:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year is the bus?
What codes were there before you started working on it?
Symptoms?

Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an 05 had lots of codes 432,453 454 .Bus was running bad and losing power .Wouldn't start the next day .Found bad grounds for the ecm and IDM .fixed that and those codes cleared then said CMP was bad .Set a code 145
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  1:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to test the lead to the CMP .I showed 1.5 volts using a volt meter .I am hopingnow to be told which direction to go ? Maybe a bad pigtail ? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  08:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a bad relay .Did you check those out ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000