School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Pins for heated crossover mirror wire connector?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  10:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, anyone know where to find new terminals for the 2 position weather pack connectors that connect the heated mirror wires to the bus harness? This is on an 05 IC bus with Rosco mirrors. The mud and ice takes its toll on the wiring over time and they tend to break the wires off where they come out of the connector. Rosco tells me I have to go through the dealer and the dealer tells me I have to buy a new arm with the wire in it just to get a connector. I dont want to spend 50 bucks for the arm if I can buy terminals and get it going for a couple bucks.

Thanks,
Mike

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  11:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any parts store worth their salt should be able to find you weather pak connectors, pins, seals and everything. and those dealers. always trying to sell a complete assembly when all you need is a little piece. jerks.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2015 :  1:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this on the Side mirrors or the crossover mirrors? If it is the Crossover mirrors then i have gotten new connector sets from napa and just replaced both sides with new.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2015 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only solder and heat shrink my connections any more. Less chance for error.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  06:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is on crossover mirrors. Do the connectors from NAPA match the bus side connectors or do you just cut both ends off and replace? I wanted to save the bus end connector if possible so if I have to replace the crossover arm, (that is supposed to have the connector on it) I wont have to cut the connector off the mirror wire and make it match the NAPA one. I will check with NAPA and see what they have. bwest, I agree with the solder and shrink tube method, as dirty as this area is a crimp connection wouldn't last any time. Thanks guys!!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  05:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also Weatherpack and Metripack connectors are different. Make sure you know which one your bus has...
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We cut and replace both sides. Just bought a large box of connectors and pins.

Edited by - bfaulkner on 02/11/2015 10:46:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2015 :  08:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm not having luck with the connector. I went to NAPA and found out the male end of the connector is a popular one on GM vehicles for various sensors, that would be on the bus end. They dont have the mating connector to it as it just plugs into sensors and not into a mating connector so they have no listing for it. I guess I will just get some two position connectors and cut both ends off and replace them.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2015 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please don't take this as disrespectful.

Why are you spending so much time and effort to ensure you have a plug, when you could have soldered and shrunk and been done thirty times over?

You say its to make changing the arm easier. How often are you changing arms? Mirror heads?
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2015 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not familiar with IC products, I’m in an all Thomas fleet, but I’ve had good luck with sourcing Delphi metri-pack terminals and connectors from several online suppliers. If you have the correct part number on one half of the plug a quick google search will usually turn up a pdf file or two with the mating plug and terminal information. I’m always on Thomasbusonline and Access Freightliner and it’s usually pretty easy to find terminals and connectors because with C2’s there are a lot of places where you can’t simply solder two wires together and call it a day.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  10:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No disrespect taken. I havent spent much time on this, just been looking online at night or when I happen to get to town to the big parts houses. I dont have to change arms or mirror heads that often but I do have to change the bases on a regular basis, maybe every 3 years even. We are a rural district and have lots of farm roads we travel that get beat to death with semi traffic and the washboards take their toll on the plastic bases. When changing a base, usually the screws wont come out because the phillips heads strip and I end usually end up having to cut the end off the mirror wire because the connector wont fit through the base with the metal plate still fastened to it. Or like I said, the wires get broken off the mirror side of the connector from mud and ice building up on the wires. So I end up with a good mirror head (and heater), arm and bus side connector but no mating connector to put back on the wire. If the connector and wiring are ok I just resolder the wires back together after I change the base out. I just thought if I could come up with a place to buy that one connector in maybe a 20 pack or something for a few bucks, that would be great but since I havent had any luck tracking it down then I will just replace both sides and be done. Thanks for everyone's input.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000