Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  5:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am gathering tips for a story for School Bus Fleet on best practices for parts inventory management. I was wondering if I would be able to talk with any of you on what you have found to be helpful. If you'd like to share tips here, that would be great, or if you would like to email me your thoughts that would be helpful, too: info@schoolbusfleet.com.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nicole Schlosser

Southsider

6 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Southsider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We buy as much as we can locally. We are fortunate to have a good parts store in town that will keep inventory for more than just cars. By using them we don't need to stock "standard" things. But, there are so many dealer only parts that we try to keep on hand only things that can be replaced quickly to get back in service. This makes us depend on the spare buses more often while we order parts to make major repairs. So my short answer is to depend on someone else to stock the parts.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  10:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Verstrans with Fleetvision to manage all of my maintenance info to include parts. I use NAPA 95% of the time in my ordering. I don't stock a lot any more because of that, NAPA does.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  12:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One thing I do is when specing a new bus . I try and stay with same chassis and body . Don't have a lot of parts to deal with .I also try and keep a set lights , seals and brakes .If I order a part that is worn out I order 2 and have a spare .
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rural, small fleet here with a one stall shop.
I don't want to have my shop tied up because I didn't have the part(s) to do a several hour or less job.
Also, for the same reason, I don't want to get into something like a bus heater if I don't have all the blower motors or whatever on hand. Also, if its a part for something that will put a bus out of service, I am more likely to stock it than something that would just need attention in a few days.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  4:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we stock most of the everyday use parts like lights switches blower motors etc if I need a part like a sensor or a connector I usually order two or three so I will have it for next time that way I usually can get the bus in and out also stock all brake rotors,pads seals. Calipers I usually order but can get the same day
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  5:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to reply so far. Your responses are very informative. I may be in contact directly for more information over the next week or two.

Again, I appreciate your comments, and have a great weekend.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  05:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to wade into this conversation just about ankle deep...

Being a rural district like Fastback is, I try to stay very stocked up on parts, I refer to myself as a "parts whore", if one part in stock is good then two are better. Another thing that dictates parts stocking for me is the age of the fleet. As I say we are the first owner and have had the same buses for so long, that we are now having the third owner type problems.
Just my 02 worth.

B
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  2:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again to all of you for the replies to my inquiry. I emailed some of you with follow-up questions and the replies to those will help me as I continue to write my story. If you wouldn't mind replying in the next day or two that would be great, if possible.

Thanks again, and have a good night.

Sincerely,

Nicole Schlosser
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2015 :  3:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually have one more question for anyone who wants to chime in:

Do any of you who haven't replied with this info yet have a specific parts inventory management software program/s you would recommend that helps you save time and costs? If so, what features of it are particularly helpful?

Nicole Schlosser
Go to Top of Page

whiskerz

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  2:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit whiskerz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I maintain parts based on usage . We tracked usage an only stock items that have a use of 3 a year. Except vehicle specific items . We use Fleet pride and a few local places as well as the engine companies for supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  08:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, thanks, everyone, for your help on this. I have turned in my story. It will appear in our March issue in print and online.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000