Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 exhaust manifold on 5.9 cummins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  1:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive got to change a exhasut manifold on a 1998 5.9 cummins in a f/l , just wondering if there are any tricks i should know, like do i take the turbo off with the manifld or leave it in place. I havent done one of these yet andI have 2 to do, any tips would be great.

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  05:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the manifold cracked or are you just changing gaskets ?? If you are just changing gaskets, I have just loosened up the manifold bolts and slipped the gaskets in one at a time.. I'm assuming this is the "one piece" manifold ?

Believe it or not I have heated the manifold nearest the head and put wax to the this area and it has helped in breaking the bolts loose.

As I recall, when the turbo comes off makes no difference, if you are changing the manifold, although what works for you is what most important. You will find little things learned on the first one will help you on the second one. I wish you the best......
Go to Top of Page

bandit

41 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  11:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit bandit's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just finished it and yes it was a one piece, replaced it with a two piece, is that a new style? wasnt too bad took turbo off with manifold, got lucky no bolts broke. thanks for you input.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000