School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 04 Freigthliner Thomas does not get warm inside?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 04 Freightliner Thomas that with all the heaters on I bet its not 45-50 degrees inside on cold days where the temps are in the teens and single digits. I have a winter front on which covers the entire grill. The water temp only reaches maybe 150-175. Anyone who has any of these buses can provide any tips or tricks? Besides a fluffy blanket or a plug in heated blanket or sneak a kerosene camp heater in... LOL. Im tired of having to wear like 4 layers of clothing and still feel the cold, the kids have not said anything thank god yet.

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  6:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of our 04's did the same thing. What I always suggested to the drivers was running the heaters on low so the engine could keep up with the heat. We changed thermostats and added winter fronts and they were always cold.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fact of life with diesel engines: Diesel engines require heat to burn fuel efficiently. If the engine does not warm up, it won't burn fuel and won't produce heat. kind of a catch 22
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  08:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caterpillar C7? Freightliner authorized our dealer to retrofit Wabasto heaters in those units when they were less than a year old for this problem. Prior to that they tried lots of things...rerouting coolant lines, installing restrictors and so on...nothing helped but the Wabasto. The next year we got had the Wabasto as standard equipment.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  09:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
replace t-stats to raise engine temperature. also the electric coolant control valve is probably broke. The electric portion works forever, but the little flapper disc breaks and ristricts coolant flow thru the bus, we just gut the valve here.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  09:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

replace t-stats to raise engine temperature. also the electric coolant control valve is probably broke. The electric portion works forever, but the little flapper disc breaks and ristricts coolant flow thru the bus, we just gut the valve here.

Yep, I've had the valve problem before. If this is a Cat you need to use genuine Cat "regulators" as Cat calls their thermostats. The NAPA version I used didn't preform as advertised, was always cooler than it was suppose to be. I have also been know to put a small piece of cardboard in front of the air to air. Now, you have to be real careful not to cut the air flow completely off, both because you'll overheat and because your air to air will become ineffective.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000