2013 IC CE Heat Output Issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  08:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to explain this the best I can, I've noticed here recently that my route bus, a 2013 IC CE with a MaxxForce DT engine doesn't blow barely any air out the front heater vents located in the first seat on the left side, even when the Heat control knob is turned all the way toward the Driver position and the blower switch is on high. I feel the vent get warm to the touch and a tiny amount of air come out but not as much as the older units would (with the separate defroster switch). I think the all air is going to the defrosters even with the heat knob in the driver side of the damper. My guess is that the damper to control where the air goes is worn and thus, won't permit any of the air to flow to the passenger compartment.

Any ideas?

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  12:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't the knob be turned toward the passenger position to get the air to flow out of those vents?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I was thinking too
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2015 :  08:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that the 2012 and newer models don't have a separate defroster switch, which in turn changes the Heat knob from the Driver/Passenger setup to Driver/Defrost, like the Blue Bird Vision's.

International all the way!
Jesus is the answer... 'Nuff said! Formerly 96AmTranRE.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2015 :  08:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I assume you get warm in driver seat? could be cable adjustment is off if you aren't getting heat out by driver seat.... if it is just not blowing to passenger area, then you can thank the engineers at IC for changing it...lol...IC went to a different heater by driver about that time, that heater only has 1 double shaft motor with a squirrel cage on each end, similar to stepwell motor(reason one switch is missing).... no longer having separate motors for driver/passenger heat and defrost air...

That being said my busses with that heater setup have no air passages to put heated air toward riders/students, has passage blocked off.... only air duct is out beside driver... biggest complaint I get is it, besides, no heat to front passengers is too hot in drivers seat...

I was told by IC sales that it was setup that way to put more defrost air to windshield...

Edited by - slippert on 01/08/2015 09:01:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2015 :  12:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I'm still in high school, currently in 12th grade, so I just ride the bus. I do, however, hope to become a diesel technician at my district's transportation department, Rogers Public Schools. My question is, if the engineers designed the bus not to have heat directed to the front area of the bus, then why to they still have the vent openings at the back of the main heater unit below the front seat? Personally, I liked the older design with the separate defrost switch.

Edited by - International96 on 01/08/2015 12:42:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2015 :  12:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your 2013 IC bus was not ordered with feature code 48GHB there isn't a duct inside the cabinet directing partial driver heat to the passenger area.

"Feature code 48GHB with added passenger air flow duct."

"Feature code 48GHC without passenger air flow duct."

https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service_kb/DocTool/ArticleViewer.aspx?ControlID=3609&SEQLanguage=1001

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/08/2015 1:32:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  04:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

If your 2013 IC bus was not ordered with feature code 48GHB there isn't a duct inside the cabinet directing partial driver heat to the passenger area.

https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service_kb/DocTool/ArticleViewer.aspx?ControlID=3609&SEQLanguage=1001

That is interesting, I am going to have to quiz my salesman about this.... He has been in bus biz a long time and normally very good about knowing what features we want/need here, The only explaination he had when I ask him about no heat coming out to rider area, was that the heater was changed to direct more air flow to wind shield.... never said anything about a feature code that code be added to get duct work installed!! Guess I took him at his word that it wasn't availible... Thanks for those codes Fastback!

Edited by - slippert on 01/09/2015 05:13:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  08:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

quote:

That is interesting, I am going to have to quiz my salesman about this.... He has been in bus biz a long time and normally very good about knowing what features we want/need here, The only explaination he had when I ask him about no heat coming out to rider area, was that the heater was changed to direct more air flow to wind shield.... never said anything about a feature code that code be added to get duct work installed!! Guess I took him at his word that it wasn't availible... Thanks for those codes Fastback!

Interesting indeed, thank you, Fastback. I guess my bus doesn't have that feature code. All of our 2010's have the front heater. I'd have that our district would spec'd it since all of our ones before this (2010 and older, we didn't buy any CE's in 2011, or 2012) have them, oh well. You would think that International would make it a standard feature like Blue Bird and (I think) Thomas have...

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  10:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas C2s do not even have a heater core or the option of a duct in the "cabinet" to the left of the driver, front core is below/behind dash to drivers right and step heater is on backside of step well. If climate dictates, you can order buses with "midship" heaters mounted between rear wheels and driver.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  12:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas C2s do not even have a heater core or the option of a duct in the "cabinet" to the left of the driver, front core is below/behind dash to drivers right and step heater is on backside of step well. If climate dictates, you can order buses with "midship" heaters mounted between rear wheels and driver.

I forgot about that, you're right.

Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  06:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bring up a 2 week old topic, but I recently got access to the Navistar OnCommand Service Portal through my local International dealer, and I've found the following text from the site about the driver heater update to be interesting, does not include the graphics or images:
"Driver heater updates resulting in increased air flow and heat to the defrost and driver area. Operation of the new heater compared to the legacy heater which may raise some questions concerning the operation and controls.
- Single switch design allows operation of the defrost and heater blower motor with one rocker switch
- located in the left switch panel. A single high efficiency motor with dual blower wheels offers increased CFM output to both the defrost and driver area. Internal plenum design offers air flow to the defrost in both the defrost and driver air flow control positions. Feature code 48GHB with added passenger air flow duct.
- Heat control knob controls air flow between between defrost d the driver
- Defrost position supplies defrost air flow with minimal flow to driver - Driver position supplies air flow to driver and defrost.
- Feature code 48GHB directs partial driver air flow to the passenger area Air flow from the driver heater to the passenger area is louvered Hose cover is completed by a transition cover."

Sure enough, with help from the above article, and with looking through my bus' build spec's the bus does have feature code 48GHB specified, with louvered vents:
BODYFEATURES 0048GHB HEATER,DRVR; 90000BTU CONVW/DEFROSTER 90,000 BTU, with Defroster and With Rear Heat Duct. (Source: https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service_kb/DocTool/ArticleViewer.aspx?ControlID=3609&SEQLanguage=1001 - Must be registered with an account by your dealer to access)

My only question here now is, if it says partial air flow to the passenger compartment, why is little to no air coming out even when the Heat knob on the left hand switch panel is turned all the way toward Driver and the Driver Heater Defrost switch on high? Since the bus is a 2013 I don't believe that the heater filters or the cores are dirty, but what do you all think?

Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  07:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
those switch knobs you turn for heat are just plastic gears, i have had several strip out, mine don't have the extra duct for the pass. the only complaint i have ever had was too much heat for the driver, but when you force the knob until it turns all the way around yes it will break and not work right. the only other thing i had on same model was where the defroster duct mounts under the switch panel the connection was off and wound up using butyl tape to seal the duct otherwise there was almost no flow to the dash
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000