New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  06:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2007 Blue Bird Microbird Ford (6.0L Powerstroke) and we've been having problems with the bus putting out good heat both for the passenger area and driver's area. Bus does get up to temperature with no problem. It used to be the bus would put out decent heat when accelerating (or any engine speed above idle). We've flushed the heating system to make sure there's no air anywhere or blockages and no success. Any sugggestions? I've heard these cutaways can be cold, but this just doesn't seem right. I've read some of the old threads about Type A's and heating issues but I figured a new topic might help since the newest post I could find was from 2009. Anyone have a creative solution to this? This is the first Type A I've had to deal with (and hopefully its my last).

-Greg

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Booster pump equipped? Blue Bird had a little problem with plumbing them backwards, which tends to not work so well.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No booster pump. We've had the unfortunate pleasure of the booster pump plumbed backwards on other buses.

We were considering adding one, but when we called Cardinal they said it might do more harm than good. They were worried it would pull too much heat away from the driver's area to go back to the passenger compartment.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  10:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well darn. I'd recommend using one of those infrared thermometers to track the coolant path...see if you can pinpoint a certain spot where it goes cold on you.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2015 :  1:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pull the water pump and check for cavitation in the front cover or loose impeller.
Does it by chance loose coolant all the time or blow it out the degass bottle?
the 6.0 is known for bad head gaskets that will cause a no heat to poor heat concern as the cooling system fills with air and bingo no heat.
Any codes like over boost by chance?

Edited by - exmod110 on 01/07/2015 2:11:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000