Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Heater Hose Alternative
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  1:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This year has been really bad for us on heater hoses and coolant. We have had a number of hoses fail by either blowing out the side or coming apart behind the clamp. we replaced most of the hoses last month to try and get ahead but to no avail. we are using 1" hoses from NAPA. If this keeps up i know its going to lead to accelerated EGR problems soon.

My question is if anyone is using anything else. I wondered about CPVC but didnt know how it would handle the temps, especially by the engine. Any ideas for an alternative?

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  1:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
silicon hoses instead of rubber maybe?
silicon is much more costly but holds up better.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  2:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
geez. what are these hoses doing that keeps blowing them out? ditto on the silicone hose by the way. not worth it to use silicone hose everywhere, but great for resisting weather, heat, etc. and will last a long time as long as you keep them from getting cut or rubbing on anything.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  4:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our problem buses that were bursting heater hoses, we replaced the standard 1" conventional hose with silicone hose with good results.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't want to use PVC anywhere, too much vibration for that product. What kind of bus is this on? I'm wondering if you are getting something in your coolant that is degrading the rubber. Just a thought.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  12:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Silicone is great for high temps but it has its own set of issues (i.e. water permeation & cutting easy). Can you read the stamp on the hose? I would be curious to see what you are getting from NAPA. It should read something like: SAE J20R3 EC Class D-1. This rating will tell you its temp rating and material specifications. This is where I would start.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  05:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a question: Are you using Peak Global Red coolant by chance? I had a customer using this product in Wisconsin and it was drying out the seals for the transmission innercooler, and was causing problems with the coolant hoses. Also, at a seminar for Detroit engines, I asked the presenter if there were any other complaints about this coolant. He told me that the state of Oregon highway department was having similar issues with this coolant. This was about 2 years ago, so the product may have changed.
As for using pvc products, don't go there. I tried using this material for heater core bypass to get more heat to the rear heaters, and the parts can't take the heat and will deform during use.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  06:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From what I read one of the biggest issues fleets have with coolant hoses is called ECD (Electrochemical degradation) I believe most hose manufactures recomend a 4 year replacement cycle on coolant hoses, possibly more frequent on hoses subjected to higher temps and where more air bubbles occur in system, such as heater hoses and upper radiator hose.... plus the stop and go driving does help create higher coolant temps..

I have used Goodyear Hi-miler hose, also with good results. I believe it is a EPDM type hose. Silicone does work ok and I use alot of it too, but if you look at stock heater hose, say on IC buses.. It says it is a premium silicone hose and it has been one of my worst problems especially in the area of high temp around the turbo and right side of engine...

Egr cooler hose connections are another problem area.. The Good year Hi-miler seems to be holding up there.. but time and mileage isn't long enough yet for me to say it is any better than oem hoses yet..

May not matter as much what type of hose you use, as long as it is a quality hose.. as it does to keep hoses changed out on a regular P.M cycle and keep grounds clean and connected between radiator and bus to help prevent failures from ECD

Edited by - slippert on 11/05/2014 06:03:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  09:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The hose we are getting just says "premium heater hose by gates". i know its just a standard rubber hose. As for the coolant we are using Shell extended life red. we had a short supply for 1 year from a different vendor who sold us recycled coolant but we switched back a few months ago.

the buses that have been giving us trouble have never had an oil or trans cooler go bad. i am going to check with my international dealer about silicon hoses.

I am not sure what could be causing the problems. I have checked coolant condition and flow resistance but found nothing. I guess Ill just keep looking.

Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000