Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Hydraulic brake advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in a state that requires air brakes on our conventional buses, so hydraulic brakes on conventional buses get confusing with some of the terminology. What is pedal reserve? More specifically, what does it mean to have no pedal reserve with engine running?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  2:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a clue. Is it to do with the aux brake motor? Hyd is all I've worked on for over 20 years and I've never heard that term. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  2:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FMVSS 393.40(b) is what it says it is referring to, but when I looked that up, there is nothing about the reserve.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  2:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are probably talking about after engine is shut off, so the bus can be stopped in an emergency with power loss.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like what we have on some Ford Collins buses. With the engine running and moderate amount of leg effort, you can push the brake pedal all the way to the floor. At first it was disconcerting for mechanics and drivers. But low and behold, nearly 20 years and many millions of miles later, it has never been an issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000