Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2015 Vision
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any one have issues with a high pitched squealing coming from their radio speakers while the radio is off? Just had a driver complain that while driving down the Interstate, a high volume high pitched squeal came from all of the radio speakers. When the driver hit a bump is dropped out, only to come back slowly. This happened a couple of times and now is not having any issues.
I said next time it happens to try moving the INT/EXT speaker switch from INT to EXT. If that doesn't work, try the noise cancellation switch.
We'll see what happens next in the ghost story before Halloween.
earl

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  11:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other electronics mounted in the area? I know our active GPS would bleed cell phone data sounds into the speakers of our Panasonic stereos with external PA wiring.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

AW

52 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  4:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 2014 RE did the same thing continuously sense new from the factory. The sound would never go away. Only the left/driver's side speakers did it. The bus had to be running for this to happen. It would get louder the faster the engine ran, but hitting bumps didn't make ours drop out.

We tried a different alternator and putting a noise filter on the radio wires with no luck. We finally just unhooked the front left speaker--which takes out the whole left side--to get rid of it.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  4:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Partsman, I don't have any other equipment mounted near the radio, and in reply to AW, it seemed that all of the speakers were making noise. I was doing more thinking on this, and it might be possible the PA microphone is somehow complicit in the noise.
Thank you for your thoughts, and I'll report anything if I find out.
earl
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  07:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a issue like this on a 2003 Suburban but only happened with the radio on but, it was intermittent. I grounded the radio chassis to the alternator frame. I haven't had a complaint since. This was a high pitched whine that got worse the higher the RPM's. If that radio is mounted in plastic dash it could be the problem.
ED
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  1:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contact your Blue Bird dealer. I have not seen this particular issue, but have seen issues with the Dual branded radios.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  5:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Bluebird is coming to see what's up with this bus, and 2 others that are having engine brake system trouble.
Thank you for your insights!
earl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000