New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think? Will they offer it in a Thomas?

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/channel/bus-maintenance/news/2014/10/07/thomas-built-parent-company-dtna-to-offer-new-detroit-engines.aspx?ref=Newsline-20141007&utm_campaign=Newsline-Tuesday-NEW-20141007&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  03:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Thomas rep was in last week and was talking about this new engine. Said it's an inline 4 cylinder, weird looking thing. He says the test subject just finished it's real world testing and was actually being prepped for tear-down last week to see how it looks inside.

Assuming all goes well with the project, expect to see it in 2016 for the Thomas products.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  05:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is a brand new engine then? I was thinking that the article was saying that it was running in Europe already.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  05:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, read that again and it reads that it will be "industrialized" in north america by 2018. I guess it's being developed for the world market then. Interesting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  06:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The fact that it is coming from Germany, I'm thinking re-badged Merc engine..
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.stnonline.com/home/latest-news/6378-detroit-diesel-engines-to-return-to-thomas-built-buses-in-2016?utm_source=eNews+10.8.14&utm_campaign=STN+EXPO+052814&utm_medium=email

"The engines will be available options in all Daimler Truck models including Thomas school buses. Daimler said the DD5 and DD8 will meet GHG17 emissions standards early and will increase fuel economy and vehicle performance. All Daimler Trucks and Thomas Built Buses dealers will offer the DD5 and DD8"

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  05:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like to me they are poised to take over the truck market from International. There are lots of people POd with International and I think another company has a chance to take the market if they have a good product to offer. I'll be interested to see if DD can meet emissions without sacrificing reliability. Brave new world!! lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000