Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 MaxxForce DT
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MBRO65

1 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  1:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit MBRO65's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 2 of these with the same concern from two different drivers. 2010 MaxxForce DT466 DOM late 2009
Both report intermittent periods of "white smoke" with no associated dash lights, or performance issues. Fluid levels are normal. The condition is reported to occur once or twice a day for a random, short period of time (a few minutes) then stops.

I don't have but a few of these (thankfully) most of the fleet are Cummins engines. I am beginning to wonder if this is just normal operation of the International emission system. Seems like if you're going to dump raw fuel into the exhaust stream you are going to get white smoke. But, I don't see this on other engines with 2010 emissions when they are doing an active regen. Also, Should there be a light indicating "high exhaust temp" to indicate to the driver that regen is taking place? I suspect on a truck that goes from point a to point b on the interstate they don't have the same issues as a school bus that has to stop all the time potentially interrupting the process.
Any thoughts or input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  03:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to our world. Soon, you'll be getting the crankcase overfull and oil dilution. You can call your IH rep and he will "help" you by saying "you are the only ones having this problem." The In-cyl dosing on the 2007 emissions MaxxForce DT is one of IH's worst designs. On the 2010 emissions engines they went to a downstream doser which stopped this from occurring. Sometimes you can help yourself by removing the DOC and backflushing with shop air (don't do it in the shop). They get surface plugged and then cause a restriction which seems to increase back pressure and blow fuel by the rings in addition to reducing the effectiveness of the regen. When your mileage gets up over 100,000, it can help to have your DPF burned by someone who has the recommended FSX cleaning machine and knows how to use it. Also, check the 2 sensors on the intake. They can get clogged or burn up which can cause you regen issues. If you have the software, you can check your sensor readings first thing in the morning and then observe how a regen proceeds and make sure that your temps are right and that there are no temp sensor issues causing a problem in the exhaust system. Those are the most common issues we run across. I wish I didn't have these engines for this reason! We have 10 buses of this vintage....all of which have smoked during regen, overflowed the crankcases with oil, and tripped many codes. While they were under warranty, it was like a parade back and forth to the dealer. Tech central throws something at it and gives it back to the customer until the customer gets tired of bringing it back and then they assume they have fixed it. I have at least one of these 10 buses acting up now at any given time! Yesterday, while we are during bus inspection, I had to send a shop oil drain/drum down to one of our lots because one of them was 6 inches over on the stick and we don't have time to get it in and check it. If intermittent smoking is the only symptom you have, (by all means check the system out), but count your blessing as there are many of us out here with buses over the 200,000 mark and making more oil then Iraq!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000