Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a bus with plugged egr coolers.

What do you guys do beyond just replacing the coolers? Are reman coolers ok?

Thanks, my first time outside of warranty.

2008 DT 466

Edited by - second.flood on 09/19/2014 12:36:43 PM

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  3:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We check the EGR and ITV operation, the MAT and MAP, and if the oil level is excessively high, it's a good time to look at the DOC for face plugging. We use the Navistar/K-Line coolant filler so we know there is no air in the system:

http://klineind.com/kl5007nav.html

This is also a good time to go over with everyone involved the importance of no air in the bus after a blown hose, water pump, t-stat, or other cooling system repair. If a bus is coming around for coolant in the morning and you can't find a leak externally, you need to inspect the EGR coolers for leaks. We've had better results being aggressive and getting it taken care of when they are just wet. If you let it keep going, the fluid mixes with the soot and pretty much binds everything up.

I'd like to hear if anyone has done any intake cleaning maintenance like a BG service or something like that?

Ours have just fallen off warranty also so I don't have a good feel for the new/reman question.

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  07:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, that's good info.

The intake side cooler shows slight dampness which is likely the cause of the plugging. The first thing I noticed was the map being plugged.

I plan to change the coolers, clean all the piping, clean the egr valve and the intake valve.
I'll then run the after treatment test and see if it passes. The DPF was just cleaned this summer and was fine.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  09:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the topic of EGR Coolers has anyone had any luck with a bypass?

I have 11 2005 DT466E buses. it seems we replace the EGR cooler about once every 2 years. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck or tried to remove the coolers and bypass them. I looked through my state inspection guidelines and it doesn't mention modifying the engine. I just dont know how to make a good bypass.

Edited by - bfaulkner on 11/11/2014 09:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  10:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are the symptoms of a plugged EGR cooler? Does it throw a code?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  12:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have cleaned my coolers by letting the sit in a bucket of engine de greaser over the weekend. Then washed them out and let them dry over night and put them back on. No problems.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  04:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just replaced coolers on another bus.
codes:
2352 7129 0
3346 1209 0
Codes set during AMT

The first bus had code:
2389 2659 1

Both had cooler leaks causing plugging.

quote:
Originally posted by RonF

I have cleaned my coolers by letting the sit in a bucket of engine de greaser over the weekend. Then washed them out and let them dry over night and put them back on. No problems.

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

On the topic of EGR Coolers has anyone had any luck with a bypass?

I have 11 2005 DT466E buses. it seems we replace the EGR cooler about once every 2 years. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck or tried to remove the coolers and bypass them. I looked through my state inspection guidelines and it doesn't mention modifying the engine. I just dont know how to make a good bypass.

Tampering with the emission control systems could get one in hot water with agencies other than your state bus inspectors.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000