New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  08:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting a little older and am trying to prevent back problems. I am taking a hub off today and was wondering if there is a tool I can put on a floor jack or some other method to handle the hub without man handling it. The style hub I have is with disk brakes.

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  2:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a hydraulic lift table, i have an adapter for a floor jack but the lift table is easier for me. this is what I use and it has many more uses then just hubs.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Moving-Equipment/660-lb-Hydraulic-Lift-Table-Cart/8017549.p
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  03:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this tool;
http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-otc5090.html

sure didn't cost that much when I bought it years ago, got mine before OTC got their name and part number on it.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 09/18/2014 03:36:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  05:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I doubt I'll be spending $1,750, lol. That thing looks way too simple to cost that much. I'll bet I could give that pic to the local machine shop and they could make it for 25% of that price. The hyd table is an interesting idea. I could make a small stand with a flat bottom to hold it level using this kind of table. My problem here is that I have no more room for an item that size. These both give me something to think about. Thanks again guys!! That's the reason I keep coming back and participating here.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  11:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use the back buddy as well. The cost is miniscule compared to being layed up for months if not permanently with a back injury. The shop should be paying for it if they have any care whatsoever for the employees. If they require safety glasses ,fire extinguishers,safety toe shoes then how can they argue against something that can save you from permanent injury?
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  04:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-5090-Back-Buddy-II-Truck-Hub-and-Brake-Drum-Handler-FREE-SHIPPING-/150809454155

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361052801902?item=361052801902#shpCntId

Edited by - second.flood on 09/22/2014 04:35:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  08:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastertech

I use the back buddy as well. The cost is miniscule compared to being layed up for months if not permanently with a back injury. The shop should be paying for it if they have any care whatsoever for the employees. If they require safety glasses ,fire extinguishers,safety toe shoes then how can they argue against something that can save you from permanent injury?

Agreed, I think shop safety and protecting your back should rank up there ahead of buying air conditioned buses.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2014 :  6:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Take it from someone that has had three major back surgeries, they are not fun at all.

Some company made a two wheel dolly years ago that worked pretty well. It has pneumatic tires on it. A round ring encircled the hub, or drum, with a bolt like T handle to secure it.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000