United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  05:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone familiar with this recall yet?

SERVICE PROCEDURE
13518R1
MAY 2014
SUBJECT: VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL
Navistar has decided that a defect which relates to engine emissions exists in certain DuraStar® and RXT® model trucks, 3200, BE S, CE C, CE S, and HC C model Buses, and WorkHorse® models built 07 February 2007 through 31 August 2010 with certain 2007, 2008, and 2009 model year MaxxForce® 7 engines.
DEFECT DESCRIPTION
This Emissions Recall applies to certain bus and truck models (listed below) that were built with MaxxForce® 7 engines between 07 February 2007 and 31 August 2010. This campaign will require recalibration of the engine ECM, cleaning of the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC), inspection for plugged exhaust back pressure (EBP) tube, and resetting the oil level. This will reduce excessive fuel dilution and DOC face-plugging issues.
REVISION STATEMENT
Revised SRT times.
MODELS INVOLVED
This Emissions Recall includes certain vehicles listed below:
• DuraStar® and RXT® trucks built 07 February 2007 through 19 July 2010
• 3200, BE C Bus, BE S Bus, CE C Bus, and HC C Bus built 24 March 2007 through 31 August 2010
• WorkHorse® trucks built 22 December 2008 through 25 August 2010
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 1
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Part Description
Quantity
2593986C1
DPF Gasket (as needed)
SERVICE PROCEDURE
WARNING! PARK VEHICLE ON HARD FLAT SURFACE, TURN THE ENGINE OFF, SET THE PARKING BRAKE AND INSTALL WHEEL CHOCKS TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING IN BOTH DIRECTIONS. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY AND / OR DEATH.
WARNING! IF THE VEHICLE MUST BE RAISED, DO NOT WORK UNDER THE VEHICLE SUPPORTED ONLY BY JACKS. JACKS CAN SLIP OR FALL OVER, POTENTIALLY RESULTING IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY AND / OR DEATH.
WARNING! ALWAYS WEAR SAFE EYE PROTECTION WHEN PERFORMING VEHICLE MAINTENANCE. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY AND / OR DEATH.
WARNING! ALLOW COMPONENTS IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT TO COOL BEFORE SERVICING ENGINE OR VEHICLE. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY AND / OR DEATH.
WARNING! KEEP FLAMES OR SPARKS AWAY FROM VEHICLE AND DO NOT SMOKE WHILE SERVICING THE VEHICLE’S BATTERIES. BATTERIES EXPEL EXPLOSIVE GASES. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY, AND / OR DEATH.
WARNING! REMOVE THE GROUND CABLE FROM THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY BOX BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS. ALWAYS CONNECT THE GROUND CABLE LAST. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY, AND / OR DEATH.
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 2
ECM RECALIBRATION
NOTE: If AutoUpgrade or PocketMaxx™ functionality is not available, use NETS.
1.Verify ECM has latest software by referring to vehicle calibration scorecard onInternational® Service PortalSM system.
If calibration scorecard indicates that calibration is not current, engine must be reprogrammed as follows:
•ECM programming method for 2007 MaxxForce® 7 engines is to use NETS or AutoUpgrade. For instructions, see IK2600010 -NETS Programming and Troubleshooting Guide. Use Update to Latest Calibration programming option or IK2600082 - Auto Upgrade Programming Instructions. For PocketMaxx™: IK3300001 - Updating Engine Calibrations with PocketMaxx™.
•These articles provide general information about eachreprogramming method and software, with links to specificinstructions for each.
2.If assistance is required, contact Vehicle Programming by creating an iKNowcase file, or by calling 1-800-336-4500 and selecting options 3, 1, and 1.
ECM BACK PRESSURE (EBP) TUBE INSPECTION
1.Park vehicle on flat surface, shift transmission to park or neutral, and setparking brake.
2.Install wheel chocks.
3.Open hood.
4.Remove inner fender.
5.Remove air cleaner harness.
6.Remove air cleaner and bracket.
7.Disconnect EBP sensor harness connector.
8.Remove EBP sensor.
9.Make sure all tools and parts are secured so they will not fall.
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 3
10.Start engine and check for exhaust discharge from EBP tube.
a. If no exhaust is observed from EBP tube, create a case file for proper repair procedure.
b. If exhaust is observed from EBP tube, follow remaining steps of this procedure.
11.Stop engine.
12.Install EBP sensor.
13.Using torque wrench, tighten EBP sensor to 15 lb-ft (20 N•m).
14.Connect EBP sensor harness connector.
15.Install air cleaner bracket and air cleaner.
16.Install air cleaner sensor harness.
17.Install inner fender.
SET ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Check engine oil. If oil level is above MAX or FULL mark on dipstick, drain oil from engine until oil is at MAX or FULL mark.
2. Close hood.
DIESEL OXIDATION CATALYST (DOC) CLEANING
1. DOC cleaning is required after calibration is complete. Refer to IK1200478 - On-Vehicle DOC Cleaning MaxxForce® 7 Engines.
2. Remove wheel chocks.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR DEALERS AND CUSTOMERS OPERATING IN CALIFORNIA
Note: The following step is required only for dealers and customers operating in the state of California.
After completing this recall, dealer must fill out salmon-colored Proof of Correction certificate and provide a copy to customer.
Use either Figure 1 (certificate to print on white paper) or Figure 2 (certificate to print on salmon-colored paper) to print DMV certificates.
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 4
Figure 1. DMV Certificate, Salmon (Print on 8.5 x 11 inch White Paper). Figure 2. DMV Certificate, White (Print on 8.5 x 11 inch Salmon Paper).
END OF SERVICE PROCEDURE
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 5
LABOR INFORMATION
Operation Number
Description
Time
A40-13518-1
Inspect EBP Tube, Clean DOC, Recalibrate ECM, Adjust Oil Level - For Claims 05 May 2014 and Prior
1.5 hrs
A40-13518-2
Inspect EBP Tube, Clean DOC, Recalibrate ECM, Adjust Oil Level - For Claims 06 May 2014 and Later
1.7 hrs
CAMPAIGN IDENTIFICATION LABEL
Each vehicle corrected in accordance with this campaign must be marked with a CTS-1075 Campaign Identification Label.
Complete the label and attach on a clean surface next to the vehicle identification number (VIN) plate.
ADMINISTRATIVE / DEALER RESPONSIBILITIES
WARRANTY CLAIMS
Warranty claim expense is to be charged to Warranty. Claims are to be submitted in the normal manner, making reference to Emissions Recall 13518.
It is important that the coding be completed properly to assist in processing the warranty claim. Complete instructions will be found in the Warranty Policy Manual, Section 7.1.8.
As with all claim submissions, items acquired locally must be submitted in the “Other Charges” tab. The cost of any bulk items (such as a bag of cable tie straps, roll of wire, a barrel of oil, or a tube of silicone) should be prorated for the cost of the individual pieces / amount used during each repair.
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 6
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 7
UNITED STATES AND POSSESSIONS
Dealers must correct all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to the owner, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Dealers should proceed immediately to make necessary correction to units in inventory. All inventory vehicles subject to this recall campaign must be corrected prior to sale, transfer or delivery. If vehicles have been sold or transferred and you are in receipt of Customer Notification Letters and Authorization for Recall Service cards for those vehicles, the transfer location or customer must be notified immediately from your dealer location.
Dealers must make every effort to promptly schedule an appointment with each owner to repair his or her vehicle as soon as possible. However, consistent with the customer notification, dealers are expected to complete the repairs on the mutually agreed upon service date.
Dealers involved in the recall process will be furnished a listing of owner names and addresses to enable them to follow up with owners and have the vehicles corrected. Use of this listing must be limited to this campaign because the list may contain information obtained from state motor vehicle registration records, and the use of such motor vehicle registration data for purposes other than this campaign is a violation of law in several states.
CANADA
Dealers must correct all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to the owner, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Dealers should proceed immediately to make necessary correction to units in inventory. All inventory vehicles subject to this recall campaign must be corrected prior to sale, transfer or delivery. If vehicles have been sold or transferred and you are in receipt of Customer Notification Letters and Authorization for Recall Service cards for those vehicles, the transfer location or customer must be notified immediately from your dealer location.
Dealers must make every effort to promptly schedule an appointment with each owner to repair his or her vehicle as soon as possible. However, consistent with the customer notification, dealers are expected to complete the repairs on the mutually agreed upon service date.
Dealers involved in the recall process will be furnished a listing of owner names and addresses to enable them to follow up with owners and have the vehicles corrected. Use of this listing must be limited to this campaign because the list EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 8
may contain information obtained from state motor vehicle registration records, and the use of such motor vehicle registration data for purposes other than this campaign is a violation of law in several states.
EXPORT
Export Distributors should proceed immediately to make necessary correction to units in inventory. All inventory vehicles subject to this recall campaign must be corrected prior to sale, transfer or delivery. If vehicles have been sold or transferred and you are in receipt of Customer Notification Letters and Authorization for Recall Service cards for those vehicles, the transfer location or customer must be notified immediately from your distributor location.
Export Distributors are to submit warranty claims in the usual manner making reference to this recall number.
Export Distributors are expected to provide full cooperation and follow-up with respect to this important subject matter. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact the Regional Service Manager at your regional office.
NAVISTAR, INC.
EMISSIONS RECALL 13518
© 2013 Navistar, Inc. All rights reserved. All marks are trademarks of their respective owners. 9

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  06:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Dealers must correct all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to the owner, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward."

Yeah right.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only VT365 is a gonner!!! I am having a party the day it leaves!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe Navistar, at least the engine division, has not gone bankrupt yet.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  12:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost fell out of my chair when I read an ad on one of those government surplus sights last week. It was for a bus with a VT365 and it said in the description "If you are not in the bus business and do not know anything about this engine, you should not buy this bus."

Never have I read such a truthful ad!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  2:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I almost fell out of my chair when I read an ad on one of those government surplus sights last week. It was for a bus with a VT365 and it said in the description "If you are not in the bus business and do not know anything about this engine, you should not buy this bus."

Never have I read such a truthful ad!

That is awesome! Who'd of thought that you could get such a truthful ad. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  05:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,
I have sent one to the dealer. We will see what happens. No one seems to know about this recall. It does not show up on any of my VIN's as a current recall. But here is how i read it.

The recall states that it is a voluntary recall. What does that mean? To me it says, Hey dude, your vehicle exhibiting any of these problems? Yes? Oh I see, well you’re in luck as we have been experiencing some problems with these engones. Bring that that bad boy in to your local dealer and we will try to repair it. We love our customers. BIG HUG……..

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  05:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

Well,
I have sent one to the dealer. We will see what happens. No one seems to know about this recall. It does not show up on any of my VIN's as a current recall. But here is how i read it.

The recall states that it is a voluntary recall. What does that mean? To me it says, Hey dude, your vehicle exhibiting any of these problems? Yes? Oh I see, well you’re in luck as we have been experiencing some problems with these engones. Bring that that bad boy in to your local dealer and we will try to repair it. We love our customers. BIG HUG……..

Technically, I think "voluntary" means the government didn't force them to do it. I hope they stay in business for the sake of those of us who have IC equipment. We all know how that worked when Carpenter went belly up, you're just on your own.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  05:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look, most recall notices are deemed voluntary. Doesn't mean that NHTSA didn't have to twist someone's arm pretty hard to get it done though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000