Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2000 Transit speedometer doesnt operate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

usafmorgan

1 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit usafmorgan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have replaced the speed sensor on the left front wheel and adjusted it to a business card gap. I have also checked the grounds at the kingpin and they are clean. Today I replaced the speedometer and it still is not operating. Any ideas?

Tony

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  6:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have much to go on...but let's say it's a Thomas with a Datcon gauge; you may have a problem about 16-30" up the harness from the wheel speed sensor where the crappy factory butt connectors are at the junction with the harness that goes to the instrument cluster.

When you spin the wheel you should have pulse counts that can be read with a DVOM, or a Datcon-type hand held, at the sensor leads and the speedo head connector. They should match. If you have an open, you'll have no pulse count at the speedo end.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  04:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have MVP's that use a Pulse Dist.Module (PDM)62202309. It's located on the left side close to your access door where you check various fluids ( best seen from a creeper). I have seen the weather pack connectors corrode. There should be two weather pack connectors and about six more wires that do nothing, at least on the rigs I work on.
Disconnect the two wire weather pack and using you meter set to Ohm's spin the wheel. You should have your meter jumping all over the place. That will eliminate the loom and speed sensor.

I second the idea of looking at the wiring loom, it's also an excellent place for things to go south.
If you have access to a wiring diagram that would be helpful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000