New IC Propane Powered Bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  12:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/channel/green-school-bus/news/2014/09/02/ic-bus-to-offer-propane-school-bus.aspx

http://www.psiengines.com/whatwedo/on-highway-engines/

Edited by - Fastback on 09/02/2014 12:43:14 PM

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool. Maybe that will be a good bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  05:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they are making it out of a diesel engine?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  06:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine appears to me to be based on the big block GM V8. 8.8 liter, isn't that roughly 528 cubic inches?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  07:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
531 is what I figured but either way it's big. I bet it won't lack for power. lol I wonder what the fuel mileage will be?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  08:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torque comparisons of propane buses;

IC 8.8 liter V8 565 ft ibs @ 1500 rpm!
Thomas 8.0 liter V8 495 ft lbs @ 3100 rpm
Bluebird 6.8 liter V10 457 ft lbs @ they ain't braggin about it rpm

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  09:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Torque comparisons of propane buses;

IC 8.8 liter V8 565 ft ibs @ 1500 rpm!
Thomas 8.0 liter V8 495 ft lbs @ 3100 rpm
Bluebird 6.8 liter V10 457 ft lbs @ they ain't braggin about it rpm

Yeah, that V10 winds up pretty tight. lol Sounds like a NASCAR race. lol Man, I hope that thing gets decent fuel mileage. I really don't like hearing the high RPMs, it makes me nervous. I like hearing the slow lumber of a strong engine. lol I long for the days that we had a simple diesel. Baring any major news on the global worming front I'd say we're stuck with DEF or propane in our world. I still have a problem with the IC body but I guess I could live with it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  12:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a meeting coming up with my transportation director and a Blue Bird salesman about LPG buses, he assured us that it wasn't a sales pitch but strong facts (yeah right). What kinds of problems do LPG buses have and what questions should I grill him with? I know our shop is not equipped to work on LPG equipment, hopefully the cost to equip the shop will deter my boss from buying LPG buses. I have a few questions of my own but I would like some more fire power.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are talking 4 to 5 mpg on fuel, the biggest holdback for me is the range on a tank of fuel, Bluebird does now offer a 90 or so gallon tank as an option but it is expensive as you have to get a heavier rear axle to go with the big tank.
My other concern is filling a tank on a bus backed out of a 65 degree bus garage when its -10 outside. Back in the 80s when we ran propane, we had very slow to no filling when the bus tank temp was +65 and the bulk tank was -10.

Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  5:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

I have a meeting coming up... ...but would like some more fire power.

We have many dozens of propane school buses and are taking delivery of dozens more right now. I really can't offer much in the way of negatives yet. Our shop is equipped for CNG but not for propane. Since NG goes up and LP goes down the HC sensors along the ceiling would never smell a thing. That being said, and the fact that we are about 65% CNG/LP, we still avoid leaving anything but the 'old fuels' in the shop overnight.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuel fill rate is a big one for me. The New BB fills a lot faster than the old one I have. Fuel mileage isn't that big of a deal when the price is less than half of diesel. All the info I have on shop safety says your shop should be set up the same as if you are working on a gasoline engine. I DO NOT work on the fuel system inside unless the doors are open and I have a fan moving air. If you get a chance sometime take a look at the fuel combustion window. I was really surprised when I saw a side by side comparison of diesel, gasoline, & propane. Propane appears to be less likely to ignite than gasoline when you are looking at the air fuel ratio. In other words, the window when the air fuel mix is not too rich or too lean to ignite is smaller than gasoline.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  07:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I was looking to find the information I saw a few years ago about the flammability range on Diesel, gas, and propane. I could have just erased the above and pretended I never said any of this but that's not my nature. I want everyone to get all the facts on what I talk about. So this doesn't look bad but it's not as good as I was leading everyone to believe. Here's what I found on lower and upper limits on each fuel. Listed is percentage of fuel to air, lower and upper. So anything lower is too lean and anything higher is too rich to burn. Propane- 2.1 - 10.1, Diesel- .6 - 7.5, Gasoline- 1.4 - 7.6. Here's the link- http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/explosive-concentration-limits-d_423.html

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000