New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2014 :  6:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a non-AC bus...Can anyone point to any scientific evidence that proves a white roof on a school bus makes any difference in the interior temperature? Especially since the white paint seems to be applied on less of the roof than it used to.

Also...what good are tinted windows if when the weather gets warm enough, the window is lowered essentially giving you double tint on the bottom pane and no tint on the top pane?

90 degrees and humid in OH today and I'm not sure either of these expensive options helped to keep my drivers or kids any cooler on the ride home.

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  08:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The white roof will reflect the sun rays that is a scientific fact how much that helps I'm not sure in degrees of temperature. I do believe that the tented windows help to reflect the sun rays not just while your on the route but even when the bus is parked which helps to keep the interior from fading and dry rotting.I think your only looking at a temp drop of only a few degrees and may not be that noticeable.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We buy tinted glass for no other reason than to increase privacy.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  12:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We started buying tinted windows 3 years ago to stop the vinyl seats from scorching.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  2:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll tell ya, the bus I drive has tinted windows and what a difference it makes. The interior stays much cooler that way. As for the white roof, the bus I owned for awhile had a factory yellow roof and it burned to the touch. I made the decision to paint it white and once that was done you could touch it and it was fairly cool.
Go to Top of Page

Sam Bailey

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  12:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sam Bailey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not find a climate difference between a white top with tinted windows verses a school bus without it. Although the tint prevented the seats from getting scorching hot.

I conducted the experiment on a 95 degree day. The pavement was 120 degrees. The hood of the buses at 110 degrees. There was little to no breeze. Buses were parked side by side.

While in motion to create a breeze, I found only an 8-degree difference with the windows down on a white top bus with tinted windows compared to a bus that had A/C. I reacted a 45 minute route with 10 stops. The A/C bus was coolest at the front and rear, while the mid section was warmest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000