General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 How have anti-idling regulations affected your bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RachelMeyer

1 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  10:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RachelMeyer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw this recent article on Overdrive which says that on average, idling can cost $3,500 or more in fuel per year. Apparently, many governments have imposed no-idling laws (with $25,000 fines!) which often cause drivers to forget to even cool their engine down.

Are these estimates realistic? How have anti-idling regulations affected your business?

http://www.overdriveonline.com/controlling-fuel-costs/?pg=2

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  3:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of this being enforced(except punishment by the company you work for).

I think it would be difficult to enforce.

This is the actual reading of 22a-174-18 that you see on signs in every school in Connecticut(no idling 22a-174-18).

A mobile source to operate for more than three consecutive minutes when such mobile source is not in motion, except as follows

When forced to remain motionless because of traffic

When it is neccessary to operate defrosting, heating or cooling equipment to ensure the safety of health of the driver or passengers

To bring mobil source to the manafacturers operating temperature

When the outdoor temperature is below 20 degrees.

When undergoing maintenance that requires such mobile source be operated for more than three minutes.

When I did a morning route, I would pre trip my bus, shut it off, go inside and turn in my paperwork, go outside at my time to leave and my windshield would be fogged up, I would end up leaving for my run a minute or two later than I would have liked too. As you can see, there are two exceptions, one operating temperature, and the other the exceptions for the heaters and defrosters. What this regulation says is- if you or your children are cold you can run your bus. I do not think that the government is behind pushing this regulation, but the bus companys who are paying for the fuel.

I only do sports charters, I have no quams about coming out to the bus and running it for twenty minutes when I am picking up a bus load of sweating basketball players when it is in the thirtys outside.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2014 :  4:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Sorry officer, battery's weak and the mechanics said not to shut it off or we may be stuck here".

Works every time.
Go to Top of Page

busfan97

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  3:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are not supposed to idle while at the school or compound. However, since our entire fleet has air conditioning on the buses, a lot of drivers will idle the bus so that the A/C works better. Now that the weather is getting cooler, the A/C isn't needed as much so idling time should decrease. Honestly, some drivers have been spoiled by the A/C. Unless it is during the summer, I don't idle just to run the A/C. Open the windows, roof vents, and service door and it's not bad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000