New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  07:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm replacing some older GPS units (CalAmp from Edulog) that were installed in the electrical side panel of our buses with Zonar's V3s. If you have done these, where did you put the Zonar GPS? It would be handy to stick it in the same place since I could just transfer inputs and screw on the existing GPS antenna. Zonar's install manual says to put the unit on the dash, but that looks to be for optimizing the internal GPS antenna.

altfueltek

1 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  06:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit altfueltek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have installed quite a few in the electrical panel area on the side. Also if you are using the existing GPS antennae then location of the v3 doesnt matter as it wont be using the internal antennae at that point. I have replaced many that were inside the bus, under dash etc and used the existing external antennae.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  10:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure, if you end up putting on the dash, that you're not breaking any laws. In Illinois we can't have anything on the dash of a bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  11:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We put them in the overhead compartments and also use external antennas. We don't have any on the dash. Better signal and the GPS is out of sight.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  4:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up putting them on the dash of my All Americans, on the center flat area of my Visions, and in the plastic side panel next to the driver in my C2s (with added antennas.) We'll find out about laws next week when we get inspected!

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2014 :  12:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update - no issue with V3s located on the dash with Oregon inspectors.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000